New dimension - notes on files

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

PhilipSutton

Post by PhilipSutton »

Hi Nikos,

I was just hunting around trying to find a MS Office upgrade file I had to put away before installing it.  I know roughly where to look but I can't remember exactly which file it was.

.........which makes me think.......

......how about building in the ability in 2xExplorer to link text notes and even alert icons to files listed in the file panes??? A user could then mark a file as having an action pending or you could say when the program was installed or whatever.

I know this goes beyond the traditional file manager model ...but why not??

Cheers, Philip
Philip Sutton
Australia
http://www.green-innovations.asn.au/
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

file comments are already available for NTFS drives (win2000/XP), although 2x at presents makes a lousy reader of this information; you could use windows explorer for this extra column though. Here I go advertising the enemy again  :) -- but that's only because I plan to use the same trix myself

Your icons idea on the other hand is something that could be a good idea, like outlook does with emails follow-up flag. On the other hand i don't know how a follow up icon would help you find a file lying somewhere in the labyrinth of folders that make up your filesystem. Perhaps a more traditional solution like storing the filename in a text file on your desktop (or even a direct shortcut to it) would be better for your problem!