tree view in content panes

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

leonand

tree view in content panes

Post by leonand »

Hello Nikos,

I really like xplorer2. I use Linux and KDE more than Windows on a daily basis and when I started using xplorer2 comparing with Konqueror was obvious. Konqureror is an amazing file manager, but so is xplorer2 as well.

However, Konqueror is able to do one thing in particular that xplorer2 doesn't and that I miss every time I do more advanced file managing. That is the ability to, in the content pane, display tree views, rooted at whatever the folder pane has selected, together with folder contents. It saves immense amount of time and/or effort when viewing, comparing or shifting stuff between different folders.

So I was simply wondering if you had ever considered implementing this feature into xplorer2? Would it be possible or is there something preventing this in the developer kit that you are using?

Best regards,
/leonand
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can do that opening a new xplorer2 window and using the /R command line argument, see the quickstart guide for details
leonand

Post by leonand »

Ah, but /R doesn't do the Konqueror thing.

The tree view in content panes as in Konqueror will display the files together with directories simultaneously in a tree so that I am able to manipulate files from different folders within the same pane without having to switch between folders in the tree pane or tabs. Like so (not quite right with proportional fonts):

FolderX --|
             +--Subfolder1--|
             |                     |--File1.1
             |                     |--File1.2
             +--Subfolder2
             +--Subfolder3
             +--Subfolder4--|
             |                    +--Subfolder4.1
             |                     |--File4.1
             |                     |--File4.2
             |                     |
             +-Subfolder5
             |
            etc

And it does this in each content pane I enable it in without having to start any new browser window.

/leonand
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

right, this isn't possible in xplorer2, see if File > Browse flat can help
leonand

Post by leonand »

Hi,

Yes, I know it's not possible. That's why I asked if you have ever considered implementing such a feature.

I do use Flatten folders a lot as well. It's great. But is not the same thing. For one thing it doesn't show the folders themselves (unless I change some registry setting (I think) and restart). And it's all or nothing, so I can't get all files in only *some* subfolders within a folder.

/leonand
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i can't say i have something like that in the pipeline
if you want more control either do a "search" and leave everything unconstrained except for the folders you don't want (assuming there's a pattern) or in 2 steps, first do a "extract subfolders" on the root, remove the folders you don't want, then make a dual pane scrap, select all folders on the left and hit alt+enter to flatten them on the right

not the easiest thing to do but possible
leonand

Post by leonand »

Is there a wishlist? :-)