twitter vs RSS

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

twitter vs RSS

Post by nikos »

anybody uses twitter? Would you be interested in receiving xplorer2 news on it instead of the current RSS feed? I don't use it and it looks like a fad but just checking :)
Hirtenfeuer

Post by Hirtenfeuer »

I'd love to get the news in twitter!

I registered just to write this, and to thank you for making a software I have realized I can't live without. I truly feel crippled when I end up on a computer without xplorer2, and I try to get my friends to try it out, for their own sake! Thanks!
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Please don't use twitter, maybe it's just my age, but I just don't gedit.

RSS does a good enough job, don't fall for the latest fad.
Vas
Hirtenfeuer

Post by Hirtenfeuer »

vserghi wrote:Please don't use twitter, maybe it's just my age, but I just don't gedit.

RSS does a good enough job, don't fall for the latest fad.
Ah right, there's no need to choose one over the other. Actually, having an RSS-stream is almost a prerequisite for an effective twitterfeed. It automatically broadcasts an update from an RSS-stream to a twitter account.

If there's any trouble I'd love to help setting it up, I've been using it for some time now.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...as the original question was posed - what, 9 months ago? - and the first response was just a few days back, it doesn't appear to be a pressing concern to the masses.

On the subject of RSS, it would be nice if the message included a link to the story/blog itself, as receiving just a title (foreshortened out of context) is a little weird.

My 2 cents.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the RSS feed is clickable, are you talking about the tweets?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Ah, sorry, in Thunderbird with the header compressed the linkback doesn't appear (one has to manually expand to see it).

No matter, just that most other feeds include the link as part of the message, not the header, so it's more obvious.

I'm much too traditional to go anywhere near Twitter.  Even the name gives me jitters.
Hirtenfeuer

Post by Hirtenfeuer »

Kilmatead wrote:...as the original question was posed - what, 9 months ago? - and the first response was just a few days back, it doesn't appear to be a pressing concern to the masses.
That is true, but Twitter is a good way to make the product visible to some people that wouldn't otherwise get to know about it. Twitter has a user base in the millions, and the networking possibilities are huge. You don't even have to be that active on the account, if there's users interested in your updates they will spread by themselves.

But I won't press this anymore, I don't see the purpose of convincing people to use a new and very popular service. Chances are I'll hook up the xplorer2 blog to my own twitter feed for purely personal use.
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Hirtenfeuer wrote:But I won't press this anymore, I don't see the purpose of convincing people to use a new and very popular service.
Don't let our curmudgeonly attitude put you off, press all you like, you never know who might agree with you.  Whilst I may not like it personally, it would probably be a decent thing from a business point of view.

I just have a simple philosophy that says anything containing the words "a new and very popular service" is instantly (by definition) irrelevant to my existence. :wink:

Web 2.0 is dead, isn't it?  Or just so 2009 (as he flings his wrist back flitfully).
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Kilmatead wrote:...in Thunderbird with the header compressed the linkback doesn't appear (one has to manually expand to see it).

Oops, that'll teach me to not read the instructions on extensions first.  :oops:
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Kilmatead wrote: Oops, that'll teach me to not read the instructions on extensions first.  :oops:
Instructions/manuals have a well known effect on men, I suffer from it to. Only when you have looked at the device/program long enough in despair, hoping that staring at it may change the inevitable, do you dig out the instructions.
Vas
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

(continuing off topic...)
The saying around my house is: "Reading the instructions is cheating."
... as we stick up our noses in feigned puritanical honesty whilst drowning in the confusion from not having done so. :o
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

Hirtenfeuer can you send me a PM or email to see how we can setup this tweeter feed? whoever wants it, gets it!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I "use" Twitter, but, seriously, you can't compare it to RSS. Try to write a meaningful text in max. 140 characters. You'll fail.
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Tuxman wrote:Try to write a meaningful text in max. 140 characters. You'll fail.
But what if Nietzsche used twitter?  He could do it in 134 including the punctuation. :wink:
Within a superabundance of life giving and restoring forces, even misfortunes have a sunlike glow and engender their own consolations.