OT: virtual DJ

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

OT: virtual DJ

Post by nikos »

has anyone heard of a plugin for winamp or WMP or some player which will mix consecutive songs? (instead of just playing them one after the other leaving a gap). Obviously I don't expect Tiesto-like performance but any kind of overlapping would do!
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Try "gapless" or "crossfade" modes.

http://fliiby.com/file/312576/wv3hn1ome7.html

The KMPLayer is a fantastic player. If that does not work for you, try foobar2000. Both are freeware. KMplayer is not the Unix
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Another program is VUPlayer. There is an option to fade from a previous title to the next one. The details of fading is adjustable in the settings.

Some more details: Build in codecs for the most common ones, auto-stop at the title-end, controllable from the tray, freedb-access for cd-audio and much more (some interesting visualizations and even adjustable replay speed). No need to make configuration settings, works out of the box. Freeware, there are different downloads for a number of languages.

(Hi narayan, good to see, that you are still alive.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

with the right keywords i found a plugin for my winamp too!
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details/175

thanks
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

Dumb question, but why might someone actually want to do this?

For the better part of a year I remember hanging out in the MediaMonkey forums, and in that programme cross-fade is the "default"... and without fail, one of the most common user-asked questions was "how do I turn it off?"

You starting your own pirate radio station out in international waters?  Oh, wait, the 70's are over...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

no i'm having a little party and i want to put the music in autopilot
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

<Sigh> I miss Radio Free Luxembourg.  A last bastion of hope on a cruel continent.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

another issue for this "robotic DJ" is automatic balancing of MP3s that happen to be recorded at different sound levels (louder/softer). Is there anything out there for this task?
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

MediaMonkey can do this as well... in two modes, if I remember, dynamic (where it simply adjusts the playback volume), or the more permanent way of manually levelling each track (as many dedicated audio editors would do, via batch).

Not an exact science, but it works well enough.  Not sure if this facility is included in the "free" version or not.
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Vas
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this sqrsoft crossfader saved my neck, really good!
http://www.kevinalfredstrom.com/2009/05 ... or-winamp/
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

What is it about WinAmp people?  Do they indoctrinate you with secret Masonic rituals and decoder rings when you first start using it?  Are there blood samples involved?  Does it satisfy some great mystical human longing for companionship in 80's-style interface manipulation?

Not being one of the "chosen many" who were infected with this clinging desire, it's perpetuation boggles my befuddled brain, and leaves me feeling cold, insensitive, and guilty for utterly lacking empathy for my fellow neanderthals.

Maybe it's related to the same gene that so attracts the masses to World of Warcraft.

I am, finally, genetically unbound.

:D

It's cold and lonely out here in the dark.

But there be vampires inside.

I'll stick with the wolves.

Winter is Coming.

Let beloved WinAmp succour thy petulant whelps, and comfort thy unfathomed fears, and resist change for the sake of futility and glory.

* And come to think of it, this "resistance to change" theme is hardwired into Nikos' personality... and the irony of that, of course, is that in the last year he has suffered more slings and arrows of misfortunate change than is considered medically safe.

And shouldn't you be off Mooning the Honey, or whatever it is you Greeks do to celebrate matrimonial punishment, in lieu of posting over WinAmp plugins?

:D

Rock on, die hard.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Based upon the post above, I suppose the same can now be said for Media Monkey people, eh?

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

johngalt wrote:Based upon the post above, I suppose the same can now be said for Media Monkey people, eh?
I wouldn't mind having a secret decoder ring to play with during the Masonic Rituals they make me attend - if only it were true.

Aside, I settled on MediaMonkey simply because it's designed for those who manage collections of 1000 - 10,000 albums (yes, albums, not songs [ah... mis-spent youth]).  It's file auto-organize/rename system is superb when restructuring thousands of folders in seconds.  Much like x2, in that respect, just designed around music.

(This pseudo-promo was not paid for by any kick-backs, vanilla envelopes, or mafia hits - unfortunately.  Just a classical anorak.  :D)