xplorer2 style finder replacement for mac?

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

janosch

xplorer2 style finder replacement for mac?

Post by janosch »

Hi,

I was forced to change my work computer to Mac. My productivity fell immediately while battling with clumsy file management.

Does anyone know a good xplorer2-like file management tool for mac?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i haven't got a clue about macs but didn't they claim macs can also run windows software or something?
Mr.Pleasant
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Mr.Pleasant »

The Mac-finder is horrible, once you're used to X2. I've been in a similar position. I was looking for something better, and found an application called 'PathFinder'. Eventually, I never tried it, but it seems promising. Dual panes, Tabs, a Scrap container-like feature are all said to be included.
If you think of using it, I'd be curious after your experience. Just in case I'll be working on a Mac again...
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

I believe that whole "run windows software" thing refers to the native Boot Camp utility, allowing you to install and run Windows in a dual boot scenario.

If you decide to go with Boot Camp, modern Macs can easily run Windows OSs without too much of a hassle - I have a group of 25 iMacs (circa 2007) that are using Boot Camp to boot both XP and Leopard 10.5.5.

Another option is to use virtualization - Parallels Desktop comes to mind, but it isn't as cheap as http://www.virtualbox.org/ - but it has its own problems, especially in terms of hardware virtualization as well as resource sharing.  If you plan on performing simpler tasks then this may work for you - just be advised that unless you already have sufficient quantities of RAM and process cycles, this can get a bit tedious as you run multiple operating  systems simultaneously.

If you can go the Boot Camp route, an excellent addon is rEFIt - see http://refit.sourceforge.net/ - I use it t provide a graphical (icon based) interface when booting the Macs so the user can easily see which OSs are offered - and which to choose.  Saves a lot of hassle trying to explain to both professors *and* students that they are in Windows and need Leopard (or vice versa).

HTH