Sunbelt VIPRE says xplorer2 Pro a trojan

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

alanstancliff

Sunbelt VIPRE says xplorer2 Pro a trojan

Post by alanstancliff »

Today, October 28, 2009, at 10:10 PM in the far northwest part of the United States, Sunbelt's VIPRE identified xplorer2 Pro as a trojan.

This did not happen yesterday.

I assumed the program had been compromised on my local computer, so I attempted to download a fresh install from this web site. VIPRE identified this as a trojan too.

I have reported this to Sunbelt as a false positive. Their technical support website is at www.sunbeltsoftware.com/support, and their telephone number from the United States or Canada is 877-673-1153.

Regards,

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

thanks for letting me know

are you talking about the program or the installer? You can always run things through virustotal.com to see what other AV think
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

Hi Nick

It was both the program and the installer. When I attempted to run xplorer2, VIPRE blocked it and said it was a trojan. I figured something had corrupted the file and so I attempted to download an install so that I could reinstall.

When the download was marked as a trojan, I figured that it was a false positive. I  wanted to give you a heads-up so you could call Sunbelt if you desired. I have submitted it to Sunbelt through VIPRE's tool and took it off my local quarantine. That solved my local problem.

I really don't have time to call Sunbelt myself, but I thought you might want to do that. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but you might be able to find a local phone number from your location. The numbers I gave are toll free from the United States and Canada.

Regards,

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it was a false positive and now apparently sunbelt have corrected it (?) -- please get the latest virus definition files from them to see
Hello Nikos,

Thank you for contacting technical support.

We have recognized this error earlier this morning and immediately released out a definition this morning to correct this issue.

We apologize for any inconveniences.

Please notify me if there are any further issues/concerns.

Warm Regards,

Eric Milliot

Tier I Consumer Technical Support
alanstancliff

Post by alanstancliff »

Great Nick,

I'm glad to hear it. Sunbelt are a good company, and I knew they'd be responsive.

Regards,

Alan
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i've heard that they had a really bad day yesterday, xplorer2 wasn't the only program they got wrong!