File Splitting Algorithms You Can Dance To...

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

File Splitting Algorithms You Can Dance To...

Post by Kilmatead »

Simple question - would x2's Split/Merge algorithm be identical to that used in, say, HJSplit?

Just tested a few things (split with one / merge with the other / vice-versa) and it all seems kosher (the omelette [data] was reformed, counter-naturally, into it's component eggs) and everything seems intact.

For some reason it never dawned on me that they would be interchangeable.

So basically can x2 join things not explicitly split with x2, or is it a case of "Eh, you might, Rabbit, you might"?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can always try and see for yourself!
i imagine that unless this tool does something funny with the split parts, xplorer2 should join them ok, if you have them in the right order
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

Reading through the German manual both should do the same (simply put the scissors to split the file), so the parts should be compatible.

Nevertheless I suggest you try Splitter light.

The advantages:
Smaller EXE
Can also split folders
Creates a batch file (repeatedly suggested here for x2), so that the recipient can easily merge the parts, even if he is not allowed to use a third-party program (but Splitter light can be used without installation for merging and must be used for merging splitted folders)
Restores all file attributes (if merged via Splitter-EXE)
English homepage availible

Splitter light is also compatible with x2-splitting. It creates an additional file, where the attributes are stored, this file does also allow an easier merging, because Splitter knows by this file, which files are needed for merging. This additional files can be skipped, if you merge via batch file or via x2.

BTW: Nicer look.