Site Admin
Site Admin

new icon: what do you think?

Post by nikos »

Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

For me it looks like the letter S, nothing near to x or x2 as the current icon. Further more it reminds me at XYplorer (because of the colors).

OK, the old icon could get a more modern looking style, but it should in any case express, for what it stands.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it's abstract art innit? minimalism
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:it's abstract art innit? minimalism
In so far as one thinks an orange blob with a broken folder surrounded by cookie crumbs can be considered abstract.  The Turner Prize is not quite on the horizon.

Considering that I just change it to a translucent blue/green folder anyway, in spite of whatever it's supposed to be, my opinion becomes moot.  Much like the Turner Prize itself.  And Damien Hearst.  And all the rest.

Took me years to learn how to appreciate Mark Rothko as a real artist, so I'm a little slow on the uptake.

That said, your man Jackson Pollock is just too good for words.  Minimalism gone round-the-bend and back again becomes minimalistic by iteration.

Oh, sorry, we were discussing your orange cookie crumbs?  Yeah, easy to go off topic...  :D

(Consider this post an exercise in post-modern disparagementation.  :wink:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

deconstruction perhaps? ;)

btw i just saw what cosmo said about xyplorer icon... that's amazing coincidence for the background ... but i was orange long before them, see the website!
Tuxman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tuxman »

I like the new icon (a more "modern" approach), but it doesn't really fit xplorer²'s design. If xplorer² had a similar default toolbar, maybe ...
Tux. ; tuxproject.de
registered xplorer² pro user since Oct 2009, ultimated in Mar 2012
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

...and the word Fred is looking for, as he shakes his head in bemusement, is "i-n-c-o-r-r-i-g-i-b-l-e".

I know Nikos was looking for constructive criticism, but as I do enough construction in the day-job, I prefer my critique-ing with an abstract flavour of i-r-r-e-l-e-v-a-n-c-y.  So I do.

I didn't vote, either.  Don't believe in public opinion.  Hang me; I believe in art, instead.
nikos wrote:...but i was orange long before them, see the website!
Not sure you can copyright a colour.  Muted, baby, muted, is the shade of the day.  Orange is brash.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this isn't a fashion statement, you need an icon that stands out so you can quickly tell where x2 is on the taskbar too
Kilmatead
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kilmatead »

nikos wrote:this isn't a fashion statement, you need an icon that stands out so you can quickly tell where x2 is on the taskbar too
In Win7 if the user calls x2 from a separate shortcut (pinned to the taskbar), that shortcut's icon is the one that shows up in the taskbar under associated processes, which is convenient for those of us who don't like proprietary icons.  The thing that always annoyed me about the (now disabled) QuickLaunch bar was that even though you changed the launch icon, the process still used the hardcoded one, which was confusing.

Still a touchy subject, though.  Ye on the cusp of Asia should be more sensitive. :wink:
Henri Pirenne in 'Mohammed and Charlemagne' wrote:From 725-726 on a theological/political struggle profoundly weakened the papacy in the Empire. Emperor Leo in Constantinople proclaimed the doctrine of Iconclasty, a doctrine forbidding images. Pope Gregory II rebelled and denounced Iconoclasty as heresy and Byzantine Italy revolted. However, Gregory pulled back from a complete break with Byzantium. In 731 Gregory III excommunicated the image destroyers and the Emperor took away all non-Italian jurisdiction from the papacy reducing it to the status of the bishop of Rome.
And given the supercilious psychology of humans, everything is a fashion statement.

But I do think it's ironic that this orange blob looks like a shattered and broken folder icon to me.  Seems like Rorschach and Jung's Shadow are ganging up on Freud in your head, perhaps?
Wikipedia wrote:Using interpretation of "ambiguous designs" to assess an individual's personality is an idea that goes back to Leonardo da Vinci and Botticelli.
Cosmo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cosmo »

nikos wrote:this isn't a fashion statement, you need an icon that stands out so you can quickly tell where x2 is on the taskbar too
You say it.

And I would never associate the S similar icon with x2. (I would only learn it as a dog learns anything.)

I am really very bad in making pictures or similar, already on the school, so I am sorry that I cannot give a positive idea. But: Perhaps something like the inside of the current icon (the x² without the surrounding), with the result that the x² gets bigger.

Regarding the color: Before I decided to use x2 I did investigate in several file managers. (The result: x2 is the best. :p ). And I learned XYplorer to know when it still was named Tracker V3 and had a different icon than today (also different color). XY was an enhancement compared with the predecessor, but the icon was a regression, not only, but also because of the orange color. But that is personal.
johngalt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johngalt »

Sorry to post late here, but I have to say the current icon is actually very aesthetically pleasing (to me) and perhaps just needs to be touched up a bit to make it look more modern?

Here is how it looks in my taskbar in Windows 7:

As you can see, I have the default Windows Explorer icon, then the WSCC icon, then X2, then Portable Apps, and finally GrabIt - all look very nice even at the size the taskbar makes them.

pj
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pj »

Looks great to me! This is an artistic impression of your work, and as such is unique, yet simple. Looking at some of the detailed icons and the poor image they present when shrunk to fit onto the Quick launch bar, I'd say this icon will shrink nicely.

And, as for seeing the "x2" in the icon, compared to the stylized red-orange fox circling the globe in Firefox icon, the proposed X2 icon is clearer.

As stated above, we all learn in some fashion, canine or other, which icon represents which action.

------------------------

PJ in (warm) FL
roberta_p

Post by roberta_p »

Good Day Nikos,

I Strongly prefer the current icon....

Best Regards,
Roberta
Good Day from the Land Downunder.....
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

I actually prefer the old one.

I think some minor tweaks to the old version to bring it up to date, would be better.
Vas
jumbuck

Post by jumbuck »

Another vote for the old (current) one. I'm rusted on to it. It is more refined than that tacky orange thing!
You must have done a heap of work to get the new v1.8.0.0 down to such a small file size? Well done and thanks Nikos. It's better than ever.