Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Open Source ??

Post by snakebyte »

Hi,

I've been using 2xExplorer for almost around 2 years now. It is the best piece of software that runs on my computer. Nothing can beat it.

I've also been trying out Xplorer2 alpha, and I'm eagerly waiting for it to it become a full fledged app. But in the mean time I want some features which are neither available in 2xExplorer nor in Xplorer2. I understand that you are a busy person and have other commitments, I don't want to bother you so many small requests and suggestions that I have for you.

I was wondering since you have stopped development on 2xExplorer, is it remotely possible for you to make it open source and post it on http://sourceforge.net/? The power of open source community can make it reach new heights. You can have the final decision and control on what new features goes into 2xExplorer. If you find something good enough you may also use it in Xplorer2.

I understand your sentiments 'bout this cool app that you've been writing on for so many years, but please do us a huge favor and make 2xExplorer open source :roll: .

Regards,
Snakebyte

Addnl Info: https://sourceforge.net/docman/display_ ... group_id=1
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i would be embarassed if people saw the state of the code that runs 2x; i'd lose all respect instantaneously :)

but opening it up (probably under a different name) could be an option, once x2 is up and running

so what missing features were you thinking about?
snakebyte
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by snakebyte »

Glad that you replied.

The Features that I would like to add in 2xExplorer are

- Replace the the default shell implementation of copy, move and delete progress bar dialog with a new custom one. The problem with the existing progress dialogs is that, during copy, move or delete process, if any file is locked, the file operation is stopped in between. I find this very irritating. The new implementation will skip the locked file and continue with the remaining files. Winzip, ACDSee and many other appz have similar custom implementation of the file operation dialogs. User may be given an option to use the custom or the shell implementation of these functionality.

- Provide a toggle pin button in the find result window. What happens is that when I double click on a search result, the result window stays on the top and I have to click on explorer to bring it to the front. An additional step!. This toggle button will decide whether to send the search window to the background after clicking on the result or not. Right clicking on the search result shows custom context menu. I would love to have the shell context menu for these files. Any additional commands (from the custom context menu) could be added as a toolbar icons to this window.

- Provide a better implementation of batch renaming with preview functionality.

- Provide a customizable toolbar with customizable icons.

- Additional User definable toolbars could be added, which may launch any application, send any keystrokes or open any folder ( This may also remove the limitation of having only 6 bookmark items)

- The detail view could show the Mp3 id3 v1 and v2 tags (Win2k, XP supports this). Provide batch tagging feature for Mp3 files. I know that other tools are available. But that means launching another application (I'm a lazy person).

- When you right click inside the blank portion of any pane, a custom context menu shows up. I would like to add another option to the menu to refresh that pane on the lines similar to that of windows explorer.Though this can be done using Ctrl+R or clicking on toolbar icon, this involves leaving mouse or moving mouse to the lower toolbar.

- Provide toolbar icons to copy file names of the selected files/folders to the clipboard. Again here If I'm holding mouse, I need to switch to hand. I hate menus as they involve extra clicks.

- I kind of liked the disabled look of X2 inactive pane. I would like to have the same in 2xExplorer as well.

and more....

I understand that you may be planning to add these features in x2. But whats wrong if the open source community adds these in 2xExplore, which is not under development anymore and is a finished product.

It is ok if your code is not up to your expectation. Nobody is perfect and at least your are aware of it. You'll never loose the respect that you have earned by creating this wonderful app. I'm a developer, and I aware of the fact that as the code size grows, you always wish that you had implemented it differently from the beginning. I guess thats why you started off with x2, and this is a good sign.

I have this strong desire of contributing in any way to make 2xE a perfect application, just flawless, an application power users can't live without. I'm sure that there will be others who'll agree with me.

Waiting till x2 completes seems like eternity to me. Patience.... I wish I had this virtue :cry:
Help! I'm an AI running around in someone's universe simulator.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

trust me, the time it'll take you to understand 2x internals with enough confidence to start changing things, you might as well wait for xplorer2. It alredy offers many of the features you are after
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Any further plans making xplorer2 open source [now] ?