bug with RENAME function

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

iceBringer

bug with RENAME function

Post by iceBringer »

hi

RENAME wont work if name of the file is 2nd column in explorer2
and i'm receiving MSG in MSG line " This column cannot be renamed in place; please put Name column first"

i dont think this is right.....
Windows Explorer DONT HAVE that kind of problem with the size on the FIRST place and Name on the 2nd????
can we expect bug fix of that or back to the windows explorer?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i would call this a 'feature'
if you want to rename with name not in the first column, use <ctrl+F2>
ox4

Post by ox4 »

a "feature"? you're joking, right?  A "feature" would be the shortcut key working everywhere in the panel, regardless of the order you've placed your columns.  I've been sitting here for days trying to figure out why my shortcut key wouldn't work.  This is a bug.
sandstones

and its worse than that...

Post by sandstones »

Evaluating xplorer2, and got it somewhat configured to what I want, which is the full name in a single column, not split name and extension.

Then slow double clicking to edit the full name, gets this same error.  Seems like the full name is not considered the 'name' and it won't accept the rename.

So, I went to the forum and found this thread that indicates not only was this  problem complained about over a year ago, but the developer has an attitude about fixing it.

Why would I want to buy a product from someone with the that attitude?  Its not about how you conceived of the product, its about how potential customers would want to use the product.  And you just lost one.
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

I confirm that the full name column in the first position produces the mentioned error.

You can get the name.ext with the name column if you disable hide extension for known file types in explorer Folder Options/View.
ayanami0

Control-F2 isn't a fix

Post by ayanami0 »

Hi,

When name is not at the first column, and pressing F2 or slow dick to rename gives out a window error sound, is "error" enough to my understanding.. I love this product, but, I am sorry... it's an error.

F2 key, and slow click is a very clear gesture of renaming within windows environment.  they are not used for modify date, nor modify size.  So this feature shouldn't be disabled just because the order of column is being changed.

Even if it is not an error... not able to double click or pressing F2 to rename is very inconvenient to users..  

It would be really nice to see a change to this behavniour, thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when NAME column isn't first you can rename with CTRL+F2