Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

wifi in trouble

Post by nikos »

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/fires ... ail-110910

we all knew that public open wifi was dodgy, but now we're talking about a landslide! Everything you would do from a browser (hotmail, facebook...) in a public space is now open to hackers

yesterday i was in vienna airport and using a public open wifi network to check my email :(

what i don't understand is why my outlook express didn't work at all in that setting, probably windows security essentials got in the way
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: wifi in trouble

Post by fgagnon »

nikos wrote:Everything you would do from a browser (hotmail, facebook...) in a public space is now open to hackers
That's no news -- it's why one should use SSL connections.
nikos wrote:what i don't understand is why my outlook express didn't work at all in that setting, probably windows security essentials got in the way
as the article you ref'd indicates:
  • ... security comes at a cost. ...  turning on SSL will break the Outlook Hotmail Connector, as well as integration with Windows Live Mail and the Windows Live application for mobile devices using Windows Mobile (Version 6.5 and earlier) and Symbian.
It sounds to me like it is time to upgrade those apps.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what this means is that we must stop using starbucks and co wifis for anything other than casual browsing (nothing that involves unsecure logins)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »