Managing feature requests

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

jakelundy

Managing feature requests

Post by jakelundy »

As far as I can tell, this forum is the primary way for users to request new features.  While this can be useful in fostering a discussion, I don't think it's the best way to gauge the level of interest in various features.

May I suggest using a service like UserVoice which lets users suggest, discuss, and vote on features.  It gives the developer (and other users) an easy to way determine the most requested features.

Another app I use (also written by an individual developer) uses it quite successfully.  The best part is that whenever a user pushes too hard for a feature that developer doesn't feel is a priority, he nicely tells them to vote for it on UserVoice and that he will reconsider it when that feature raises in the rankings.  The user now directs their energy on convincing the community to vote for the feature instead of arguing with the developer.

I bring this up after seeing some threads, like the one requesting Dual Tree Views, where I got the sense that users don't always feel they're being heard.  At the same time, the developer can get frustrated dealing with these requests.

(By the way, I'm not affiliated with UserVoice and only mention it because I've seen another developer use it with some success.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what about requests about feature requests, where do we file them? :)