Feature request: explorer-like, onthe-fly filerename checkin

Chitchat about x² / 2X products

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

xaero

Feature request: explorer-like, onthe-fly filerename checkin

Post by xaero »

Hi! And first of all let me thank for this beautiful and very useful file manager! I am using it a lot, and as any heavy user have some suggestions for usability improvements.

The feature I am asking is very simple but very necessary: when renaming file and pasting file name containing any of forbidden symbols (like column) it complains not allowing to save the result. Windows explorer (I believe at least since Vista) instead of complaining just strips any forbidden symbols at the time of paste. It shows notification, but the result is proper file name right after you pressed CTRL+V. This is very useful when renaming a lot of documents by hand and usually copying their names from text, and those names often contain columns and other forbidden symbols. I think this small addition would ease my life a lot. Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this facility is available when you use Ctrl+F2 to rename files
xaero

Post by xaero »

Yes, but if I prefer to use slow double click to rename - is there any way to tweak this?
xaero

Post by xaero »

Just checked CTRL-F2. May be I am doing something wrong, but when I pasted file name with column - window was dismissed with OK, but original name didn't change.

It is clearly inferior to explorer's behavior.
xaero

Post by xaero »

*previously I meant not column - but COLON

Sorry for my English!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

colons ;;; are unusual but are supported. Perhaps you have to press <Ctrl+R> to refresh the view?

also you can try File > Mass rename which also strips illegal characters -- it works for a single file too
FrizzleFry
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by FrizzleFry »

Neither Ctrl-F2 nor File/Mass renaming remove pasted illegal characters for me with the latest release (2.0.0.2).

BTW, colon [:] is illegal, semi-colon [;] is not.
xaero

Post by xaero »

I mean Colons as ":" and windows explorer's functionality to automatically strip them on paste. Could this be made in xplorer2?