x2 'Find files' searches remote ftp-links !!!

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

x2 'Find files' searches remote ftp-links !!!

Post by fgagnon »

I have found an interesting 'feature' wherein x2 file searches follow some ws_ftp_pro links onto the web and searches for files there, taking extended periods of time and returning a variety of illegal access type errors (especially on stale ftp lists). Having found what was taking so long (with the help of dep.walker) my solution was to move the live-ftp links to their own special directory, and point a windows-link to it -- which x2 search doesn't try to follow.
(btw -- 2x search doesn't try to follow the ftp-links)

This may be a unique interoperability issue with Ipswich's WS_FTP-Pro catalog of ftp-sites -- some stock (& stale). They appear to be keyed into the registry and invoke ipswich's FTP-Pro Explorer app which does the ftp navigating. And the x2 explorer comes along for the ride, searching for files along the way!

Anybody else seen this behaviour? (kinda neat -- even if annoying)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

x2 gets into everything and it won't stop for nothing :)
however given the current problems with FTP in general, it won't go into folder links like those in NetHood. Why should it go into your wsftp folders is a mystery, but must be down to the way these "folders" advertise themselves to the system

if they are in a single folder you can just exclude it from the search, typing something like this in the LookIn field:

Code: Select all

c:\, -c:\ftpFolder
note the leading minus sign
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

ok - that's another way

But my next observation is that both moving the offending folder to a special place (what i did) and excluding it from the search (as you suggest) requires advance knowledge of where the pits are, or of their nature.
I wonder what a generic 'stay on local machine' filter would look like...
or stay in current (or specific) domain ... et cetera. ??
The above to save the bother of waiting and wondering if something is going wrong.

And a parallel question is do you know where I can find a good summary of useful grep expressions & syntax (preferably the subset of what x2 recognizes)?
And (along with egg in my beer) would be to have useage examples for the above, as legacy unix stuff is often mysteriously terse, and I haven't grepped in decades, nor done any C coding.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

as i said in general x2 won't go too far, but your wsftp folders prove that there are uncovered exceptions. Given the countless possibilities for folders and shell extensions I doubt there will be a way to cover everything -- new "folder" types emerge every other day!

i don't have a handy link for grep, but a google would bring a ton of them. BTW x2 doesn't use grep syntax at all (this has proven elusive for the moment). What I recommended is the standard comma-separated list that both 2x and x2 utilize in many positions, for multiple wildcards, text strings etc. A leading - stands for "not" and a + for "and". This is explained in alpha.txt
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thanx - I googled & got a gaggle of 'em.
I also see that I have negelected to RTFM such as it is (i.e. the alpha.txt file) after a quick initial scan before installing x2 (& when most of the details had less meaning)

Keep up the good work!