[x2] churns while web-browsing

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

[x2] churns while web-browsing

Post by fgagnon »

This is not so much a ‘bug report’ as anomalous behaviour:
I have noticed that as I web-browse, that dbmon reports that x2 follows along in the sense of tracking activity in various [Local Settings] folders, even though neither pane is pointed at anything in the [Documents and Settings] tree, and I am not ‘using’ x2 actively.
{dbmon output, sent by pm, FYI}
But my question is ‘why’? - especially because those folders are in the ‘banned areas’ (i.e.: on the ‘Find Blacklist’ in the registry, in v.46)
Seems like unnecessary activity, waste of machine resources, invitation for difficulties, etc.

Has anybody else noticed this? & is it harmless?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

when the tree (or a scrap frame) is on, x2 gets informed by all disk activity so it can stay up to date. Most of the time the events are junk -- like watching ads of women's toiletries in the middle of your favorite movie :)

there's only one "channel" so you get the chuff along with the wheat (is that the expression?)
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

If I had thought about it, I'd have figgered out x2 was monitoring disk i/o -- vs. 'pinging' (wrong protocol) for contents, as when searching, when need for update is deduced from changing panes or clicking in tree.

But if x2 always monitors disk i/o, why do i need to explicitly 'refresh' a pane to see curent folder content? e.g. - after i had moved files via the other pane, or with another app (such as 2x).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

refresh problems? That's news to me! Especially within x2 it should be spot on. Where does this happen? Or you have to refresh manually all the time?
Unless -- if you also have refresh problems with windoze explorer..
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Refresh question

Post by fgagnon »

It is a recollection, while doing other things & not paying full attention to sequence of operations, when then I find something I had moved or created would not be listed in the folder being viewed in x2. (and it does happen with windoze explorer too!) Maybe I'll find some time this weekend to document specific sequence of ops which do and which do not result in the issue. -- & I'll try to pay attention to differences in behavior between W2K machine at office or on XP at home.

more later ...
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Refresh question?

Post by fgagnon »

Well, it's been a week, and I haven't been able to reproduce the "refresh problem" of my recollection.
And I tried a few explicit test cases over LAN & over WAN & on zip drive -- all eliciting proper behaviour from x2.
So I guess I'll chalk it up to operator error. :?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

oh well, never mind
i have already added a backup refresh mechanizm in the old 2xExplorer style, so things will be more robust
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lack of auto-refresh came back

Post by fgagnon »

Nikos,

The elusive lack of auto-refresh came back yesterday when I was in the midst of retouching & reorganising some large-ish folders of photos. (100's of photos in half-GB folders, on local C: drive) ... unfortunately, I didn't have dbmon ON.
And, later, with dbmon to capture the 'flow', when I tried to reproduce the behaviour of deleted files staying in the folder list (but without lots of re-arranging preceding the moves, copies & deletes & without most of the other apps open: everything worked just fine! :shrug:

{note to self: always use dbmon with x2 -- even tho things seem to be mostly well-behaved -fg- }