Policy-problem with 2xexplorer

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

boein

Policy-problem with 2xexplorer

Post by boein »

Hi,

When applying the policy "hide my computer from desktop & start menu", this policy also hides "my computer" in 2xexplorer. This is a serious problem because all the drive letters are in the "my computer" folder. Is there a fix so I can hide "my computer" on the users desktop and start menu, while I can still use "my computer" in 2xexplorer?

Thanks

Wim
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is the exact opposite from the other time we talked, yes?
what happens when you hit backspace when in a root drive?
boein

Post by boein »

Hi Nikos,

yes indeed, you remembered ;-) Let me explain this contradiction. Yes we wanted to hide some drive letters, but not all of them. This is the case when you use policies, hiding my-computer. Remember we wanted to use 2xexplorer as an alternative for the windows 2003 explorer. We want to ban windows exporer completely because it's crap, slow a performance killer... do I need to continue ;-) With your explorer everything is much better, our servers use less CPU since we use your 2x. Problem now is that we still have "my computer" on our desktop and we want to get rid of it, because it starts again the windows explorer (which we do not want). Hiding "my computer" also hides my computer in 2xexplorer, so I hope there's a workaround.

Thanks
Wim
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so what's the answer to my question within 2x?
another one; what does the tree show when my computer is missing?
boein

Post by boein »

Hi Nikos,

Sorry for the delay. When we open 2xexplorer, the tree only shows a little tree desktop and "My documents", I didn't use a policy to remove this folder.
Tree-pane
-DESKTOP
+My computer

The Left pane shows our P: - drive and the Right pane shows our H: drive. Both drives are configured in the registry keys so each time the user opens 2xexplore he sees his public and private Network drive.

When I hit backspace in one of these panes, It shows "my computer" and all the drives, when I select one of these drives the tree-window doesn't move, it only shows "my documents". When I hit backspace several time till I'm on the highest level "desktop" there's no way to go back to "my computer". You can go to "my computer", but you have to be on a drive first and the use backspace to go back one level, I you go back 2 levels, there's no way to go back.

Wim
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so the tree is basically useless
well i can't see any solution other than using the navigation list to go back-forward. Or as i said the <Ctrl+Shift+letter> shortcut

perhaps some litestep users can give you ideas how to show mycomputer without using explorer. I don't know much about alt shells. Keep in mind that the desktop itself is the windows explorer, unless you have disabled that too.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Are these really problems ?

Post by zippit »

nikos wrote:this is the exact opposite from the other time we talked, yes?
what happens when you hit backspace when in a root drive?
Hi,First i can't find "save"listed in actions,now it's "policy"
What is this nit picking.Whats the dif if you see all the drive letters ? Thats what a hd reader does.I think.
The beauty of 2x is it remebers where you where,so don't go to My Computer.Stay in the drive(s) you want to use.I think.
:wink:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
boein

Post by boein »

Hi Nikos,

I found a solution. There are 2 ways to hide "my computer" on your desktop. You can hide it by applying a policy in windows wich modifies

HKCU\software\Microsoft\windows\curentversion\policies\nonenum
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} REG_DWORD 0x00000000

enabling this policy sets REG_DWORD to 0x00000001
This makes my computer dissappear everywhere, also in 2X

But there is another way to hide "my computer", you can also hide it with:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
"{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

With these keys you only hide "My computer" on your desktop but not in 2X

Regards

Wim
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

boein wrote:Hi Nikos,

I found a solution. There are 2 ways to hide "my computer" on your desktop. You can hide it by applying a policy in windows wich modifies

HKCU\software\Microsoft\windows\curentversion\policies\nonenum
{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} REG_DWORD 0x00000000

enabling this policy sets REG_DWORD to 0x00000001
This makes my computer dissappear everywhere, also in 2X

But there is another way to hide "my computer", you can also hide it with:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]

With these keys you only hide "My computer" on your desktop but not in 2X

Wim
Regards
Thats a very drastic and dangerous way to do this.What ver of Windows are you useing ?
I don't care to hide My Computer or my desktop icons.right click the desktop for those options.Show web content will do it.Some do this because they use wallpaper.Then you can make it available on the taskbar. >> will appear.
I have Wme.
:wink:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
boein

Post by boein »

We use Windows 2003, that's the reason why I have to apply all these tricks, because the windows 2003 explorer s..cks ;-) I tried these reg-keys and they work on windows 2003. We also use Powerfuse and with powerfuse you can load reg-keys etc while your users are logging on. So each user can have other settings in HKCU depending on the group they 're in. In this way I can experiment in a rather 'safe' way. Thanks for the warnings though ;-)

Regards

Wim
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

hi there,

sorry to stick my nose in when i know so little, but isn't it possible to remove my computer from the desktop in display properties, desktop, customize desktop... this is true on xp & 2k3 at least, prob 2k too! and in xp & 2k3 u can remove my computer from the start menu by going into "taskbar and start menu properties", start menu, customize, advanced...

alternatively tweakui could be used for the desktop at least.

but for every option and tweak under the sun check out the awesome x-teq x-setup which can do all these things and a whole lot more... on any windows version
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

more info please

Post by zippit »

kev wrote:hi there,

sorry to stick my nose in when i know so little, but isn't it possible to remove my computer from the desktop in display properties, desktop, customize desktop... this is true on xp & 2k3 at least, prob 2k too! and in xp & 2k3 u can remove my computer from the start menu by going into "taskbar and start menu properties", start menu, customize, advanced...

alternatively tweakui could be used for the desktop at least.

but for every option and tweak under the sun check out the awesome x-teq x-setup which can do all these things and a whole lot more... on any windows version
This is very confusseing,You can hide all your desktop by a right click and select "view as a web page.
Display propertys controls your video card,not Windows,be carefull.
Please avoid 3rd party junk. :twisted:
Or it's pop up time.
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

zippit wot the flock r u on about?! u tellin me "cuztomize desktop" is a feature of the video card?!! or that these options are 3rd party and not a fundamental windows setting?!

look wot i said is clear to understand and true. the only one confused here is u pal