dirkey plugin

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: What didn't work

Post by zippit »

zippit wrote:
Morning Star wrote:I dont know if you need it, but dirkey did not work for me without it...
What didn't work without dirkey ? What is dirky ?
Where do i get it ?
:roll:
Sorry folk,its a x2 problem again,will you please seperate these siamese twins.
:cry:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Its a program that allows you to use keyboards shortcuts to directly open particular directories in existing (or new) explorer or x2 windows.

In x2 it basically works like an extended bookmark list, allowing you to have up to 10 book marks, instead of the current 1.
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
Ki

Post by Ki »

have a look here:
http://netez.com/2xExplorer

you can also use it in other dialogs (open, save as. etc...)

for me i find it really handy coz its quicker to hit a hotkey for a folder i often goto instead of searching through the directory tree...

i wouldnt say its a necessity, but its a really nice little app/plugin.
especially for impatient types like me ;)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

And if you don't want to use that, here's the alternative that allows you to have unlimited (not just 10) bookmarks from x2:

1. Make a new folder anywhere on your hard disk(s)
** For easy identification, I have named it "Favorites" But you can name it anything.

2. Open this "Favorites" folder, and press CTRL+SHFT+1 (or from GoTo menu, select Set Bookmark). This action links this folder with the single bookmark available in x2. From now on, this (empty) folder will pop up whenever you press CTRL+1.

2. When you want to create a new bookmark, drag its shortcut to the "Favorites" folder.
How: Just open the "Favorites" folder in one pane, and open the target item in the other pane. Press SHFT+CTRL, and click on the item. Without releasing either the mouse or the keys, drag it to the "Favorites" folder.

Alternatively, you can just right-click on the item, and from the context menu, select "create shortcut". It will add a shortcut to the same pane. (This method will not work if you don't have permission to add an item to the folder.) Move this shortcut to the "Favorites" folder.

3. Repeat this for all other target items for which you need to create a shortcut. Now you are ready with an unlimited number of shortcuts.

To use any shortcut, first press CTRL+1. This will load "Favorites" folder in the active pane. Then select your shortcut.

A small disadvantage of this method is every time you have to load the "Favorite" folder in your active pane; because it is a two-step process.

In fact, this method was also described in 2x's FAQ; but at least 2x had more "direct" bookmarks. Since x2 has only one bookmark, it has become even more relevant.

P.S. ignore this post if you already know this.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

P.S. ignore this post if you already know this.
Its a bit hard to ignore the post if I have just read all the way too the end, don't you think... ;)
dfx

Post by dfx »

Just to clear things up... Dirkey is a generic bookmarking utility wich allows you to use the same set of folder bookmarks in all supported applications plus all applications that use the common Windows Open/Save dialogs. I've written a plug-in for Dirkey so that it will also work with xplorer2. This allows you to set a bookmark in x2 and go to that bookmarked folder in e.g. the Open/Save dialog of Photoshop (or whatever application) and vice versa.

Anyways... back to the original subject of this thread. Ki: could you send a screenshot of your xplorer2 window to dirkey@protonfx.com. I would like to see if I there is something out of the ordinary with your xplorer2.
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

won't work
Ki

Post by Ki »

sure.
im not sure the limit on files attached to this forum, so please browse to here:
http://bochibochi.com/gallery/scraps/scrnschot?full=1
dfx

Post by dfx »

I think I found the problem... I've implemented a possible fix for this problem in a test version for you to try (for Dirkey NTXP only)

http://www.protonfx.com/download/dkpiu_x2_1.1.1test.zip

Let me know if it works
Ki

Post by Ki »

wow!
it worked!!
well done! :)
dfx

Post by dfx »

I'll update the ANSI plug-in also and I'll do an official release later this week. Thanks for your cooperation in solving this problem.
dfx

Post by dfx »

I've made an "official" release of the new version of the plug-in (also the ANSI version for regular Dirkey)

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=6695
Ki

Post by Ki »

sweeeet~!
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

ok i guess

Post by zippit »

dfx wrote:I've made an "official" release of the new version of the plug-in (also the ANSI version for regular Dirkey)

http://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=6695
As a new member,have you contacted nikos on this.Are you part of his team ? Does he approve ?
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

He obviously approves enough to put a link to it on the 2x/x2 main page at netez.com/2xExplorer...