problem with 0.0.0.50

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

problem with 0.0.0.50

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi,

In this new alpha version, when I click two times on a file, I don't have the option to rename it! :(

Can you make this option available again?

Where we can see the changes for each update?

Thanks
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, I see it too.

Nikos,

It looks like something you did to fix one issue (so d-click would only invoke open/execute & not rename-in-place) has defeated the slow d-click (i.e. select, then click-to-rename) functionality for renaming.

Yes, we can rename two other ways:
1. r-click/pick rename from menu, or
2. select item, then hit F2
But some folks are just used to keeping their finger on the left mouse button, and will find it hard to adapt.

It's not a biggie for me, but I'd like to see rename on L-click of selected file come back.

Even so, I really like the feel of v50.
It's great to to automatically suspend auto-refresh when renaming. :D
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Morning Star »

Just a personal opinion and all, but I dislike the whole double-click-to-rename functionality (in x2 of M$ exp). I think it is not only hugely counter intuitive (fast d-click to execute, slow d-click to rename... wtf?) and unnecessary (there are actually 3 other ways to rename - you left out pressing Ctrl-F2, fgagnon), but also anti-productive in that it gets in the way much more often than it is actually useful.

(Sorry, v-crow, I can see you find it useful, but hey, its just my opinion... :))

If you re-enable it at all Nikos, could you please make it optionally disableable?
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

I know it has been disabled on purpose. And I am very grateful for that because the whole left-click-rename thing has always bugged me (in regular Explorer too). I agree with Morning Star that it is extremely counter intuitive and I still cannot understand how MS could ever implement such a thing.

Nevertheless I respect that some do find it useful so I wouldn't be bothered if there would be an option to enable it again. As long as it *can* be disabled I'm happy.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Since I am using s-click activation mode, I suppose this "click twice slowly" method for editing will not work.

Probably click and hold for s-click users?

BTW I can understand people asking for it, but why ask for a provision to disable that mode IF it is given? The mouse settings can be easily altered (via control panel) to accept even the large delays between clicks. Then you don't need to worry that x2 will misunderstand a slow two-click operatrion as a d-click.
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

So I would have to change a system wide setting just for xplorer2 eh? No I don't think so.

There is no right or wrong here. Some people hate the click-rename method others love it... therefore I think it should simply be optional in xplorer2 and I'm sure Nikos can make it so.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

I just wondered why people with "no two-clicks to edit" opinion would like to disable that mode; rather than just ignoring it. And the reason would be- they are not able to precisely control the delay between the two clicks, and therefore sometimes x2 inpterpretes their d-click operation as two-click, and ends up in edit mode.

Now that is certainly a system-wide issue; not just limited to x2. That's why I suggested changing mouse-setting; as a work-around.

I have nothing against making that optional. In fact, I am all for making all settings accessible through a GUI; rather than registry-tweaking. (Of course, that issue is far in future.)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to binMiscOptions add CLVOPT_CLICKRENAME (==32) to get back to the original behaviour. Note that each view has its own setting
flexigon
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by flexigon »

Thanks for clearing this up Nikos :-)
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Hi nikos,
nikos wrote:to binMiscOptions add CLVOPT_CLICKRENAME (==32) to get back to the original behaviour. Note that each view has its own setting
I put what you said on alpha.txt but doesn't work:

binMiscOptions a value made up of any of the next "bits" added up
CLVOPT_DISABLEAUTOREFRESH 1 /* patch/efficiency improvement for multi-folder views */
CLVOPT_NOAUTOSORT 8 /* no automatic item sort after refresh events */
CLVOPT_CLICKRENAME 32

------
Why you don't make a dialog options for we can choose the things that we want!?

I love your File Manager, but this is annoying... :cry:

Thanks and keep the good work
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

it works, (thanks nikos)
but 'how to' explantion could be clearer for those not familiar with bit-wise option keys (even though you try to explain it in alpha.txt):
i.e.: "add 32 to the value of binMiscOptions keys for each window where you want the click/rename feature"
:)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it is somewhat described in alpha.txt and there's also a prior thread that describes the process in detail -- should be easy to locate using the "search" feature of the forum
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

nikos,

The code that I show to you sould work for the problem that I describe to you or not?

If not, what code is it to work?

And with the next versions, I will have the same problem?

Thanks
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the simplest thing would be to overwrite your previous binMiscOptions after exiting x2 with the desired value 32; make sure regedit is accepting decimal numbers!

for more details please search for that thread I mention above
VaMPiRiC_CRoW

Post by VaMPiRiC_CRoW »

Ok, I perceived and it functions, but when another version came out, or when I format my PC, I've to change this again?

What's the reason to not put this by default?