how about non-debug version?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

how about non-debug version?

Post by pila »

I have a lot of files and x2 keeps slowing me down. We did not have a release version since v35, some 6 months ago.

How about compliing one release version (without the debug info) and letting us use it at a fast pace. x2 is a pretty mature and relatively stable. Personally, x2 lacks very few features for me, so I would be glad to use v50 for some time.

Many of the last versions are slower than earlier. For example, this v50 takes 5 seconds to show contents of the folder containing only 77 items.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

my position on release builds has been expressed in other posts
the slow down you observe must be down to the columns you have selected. The comment column is rather slow, but it is extracted in the background anyway, so you don't have to wait for it to start using the contents
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

I always use Pane style: List. and x2 is painfully slow, and I can not use v35 with no debug info since it was UC and I have Win98.

There is no reason to distribute alfa version with debug info in it for years. x2 is not in alpha rel version for a long time.

Since other problems (in my opinion) you do not recognize, I have only one wish: to get non-debug version
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

although the core functionality is rather stable, every new release brings new untested features. Everything new could come with bugs, and usually does!

Now the slow reading in list view is an example. 77 items should be read instantly even in debug version, so there is a problem there. Chances are that the release version will be slow too.

Is this sluggishness present for all folders or just e.g. network stuff?
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

nikos wrote:77 items should be read instantly even in debug version, so there is a problem there. Chances are that the release version will be slow too.
I tried starting up the debug and release versions with a pane showing a folder of 109 items, detail view with Name, Size, and Mofidied showing. The pane text filled in immediately, the icons followed in about 1/2 sec., and the tree filled in last, about another 1/2 sec. later. Same for both versions as far as I could tell.
pila
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by pila »

nikos wrote:although the core functionality is rather stable, every new release brings new untested features. Everything new could come with bugs, and usually does!
Yes, but it is normal to have a version v1, and then build new features on it (v1,1 beta). So, we can have v1 that runs fast, and try out later versions with new features.
nikos wrote: Now the slow reading in list view is an example. 77 items should be read instantly even in debug version, so there is a problem there. Chances are that the release version will be slow too.

Is this sluggishness present for all folders or just e.g. network stuff?
I am complaining only about slow readout of my local folders. I have over 1000 files in one folder at any given time. It takes 15 seconds to x2 to show the contents.

I have tried v,35 release and it was significantly faster than v,35 debug, if I reacall correctly.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

pila wrote:I am complaining only about slow readout of my local folders. I have over 1000 files in one folder at any given time. It takes 15 seconds to x2 to show the contents.
Something else must be going on. As a test I created a folder with 2000 files in it. X2 took no longer to display them than any other folder - less than a second.
mimeryme
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by mimeryme »

MKairys, the size of the files may be a factor though.
MKairys
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MKairys »

mimeryme wrote:MKairys, the size of the files may be a factor though.
Well, I wouldn't think so; I'd expect X2 to get the info it needs to display a pane solely by reading the directory. But certainly ICBW!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

We know the rate of display is a fairly strong function of which attribute is used to sort the displayed output**. Even if the display is List mode only, the arrangement may still be sorted by another file attribute.
So, pila, can you please check & report on the sort setting under
VIEW|ARRANGE BY ... ?

** (also a function of whether quick view is ON, and the size limit for the quick view display -- so, pila, please also tell us this is not the case here, as that appears to be the assumption)
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: how about non-debug version?

Post by zippit »

pila wrote:I have a lot of files and x2 keeps slowing me down. We did not have a release version since v35, some 6 months ago.

How about compliing one release version (without the debug info) and letting us use it at a fast pace. x2 is a pretty mature and relatively stable. Personally, x2 lacks very few features for me, so I would be glad to use v50 for some time.

Many of the last versions are slower than earlier. For example, this v50 takes 5 seconds to show contents of the folder containing only 77 items.
How about stop gripeing.How much memory do you have ? How many apps do you have running.Don't blame nikos if you have crippled your abilities.x2 is a beta version and seeks comments,not complaints.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

zippit how bout u do everyone on this forum a favour and stop posting. i have noticed like many others how ur comments r never helpful, very often confusing to others (as a result of ur own confusion/lack of knowledge/stupidity?) or destructively critical

sorry 2 be so rude but i just can't take any more of ur posts. i urge anyone who thinks i am being unduly harsh to search on zippit and read all his posts... u'll quickly see where i'm comin from
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thats your opinion

Post by zippit »

kev wrote:zippit how bout u do everyone on this forum a favour and stop posting. i have noticed like many others how ur comments r never helpful, very often confusing to others (as a result of ur own confusion/lack of knowledge/stupidity?) or destructively critical

sorry 2 be so rude but i just can't take any more of ur posts. i urge anyone who thinks i am being unduly harsh to search on zippit and read all his posts... u'll quickly see where i'm comin from
===========
First off: the confussion starts with is it 2x or x2 in the 2x help. :idea:
My comments are my opinions,not insults,you can ignore them if you like.
nikos doesn't seem to think so.
Lets post about the good things and stop demanding changes.Some of you expect too much,too fast...or maybe have to learn more about useing a computer. :twisted:
nikos:I have been useing 2x for a long time and it does all i need it to do.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

zippit you tell people to learn more about using a computer, yet you have demonstrated a comprehensive lack of understanding of features present on 2x and even windows itself. but more than that you demonstate no communication skills whatsoever, and fail to perceive how bad and annoying your posts appear to other people, since you never give a helpful suggestion, you either demonstrate confusion at the simple meaning of the question in a post, or criticse the question or the user's need to ask the question.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I've asked Sal to create a separate forum for xplorer2 so that it won't be confused with 2x any more. That should help keep confusion levels down!