Problem with copying 8.3 names in V50

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Problem with copying 8.3 names in V50

Post by narayan »

I am having a problem in V50 (in NT4 and 2k both): V50 simply does not copy the 8.3 names (the clipboard retains whatever was there earlier; and does not take the new 8.3 name).

I used the ALT and SHFT keys from both sides of the keyboard, and also tried different sequences (ALT first/SHFT first etc); but the result is the same.

Does anyone has similar experience, or any additional observations?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

At first I thought you were talking about
"copy names" or "copy columns" but
those use [Alt+C] & [Ctrl+P]
and they work fine for me on w2K.
(although "copy names" always uses path+longfilename)
& 8.3 filename is correctly copied with "copy columns" after renaming the longfilename ...
So, you must be using a feature I have yet to discover.
Please educate me. :?
rir3760

Post by rir3760 »

Narayan is referring to the option 'Copy Names' (ALT+C), while simultaneous holding the 'Shift' key, it copy the short file names (8:3) to the clipboard.

By the way, both options (ALT+C & ALT+SHIFT+C) are working as expected in MS Windows 98 FE.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Thank you, rir3760

Okay, narayan, now I see it ...
and same paranormal behaviour for both
the regular copy columns [Alt+C]
as well as the special [Alt+Shift+C]
(OS is w2K -- I can check XP tonight)

It appears that x2 is putting the "copy names" result somewhere, and repasting prior result to the clipboard in both cases.
I pasted something else to clipboard in between changing sort order, and got unchanged order from x2's clipboard deposit. :!:
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

Checked this on Win XP Pro SP1. Seems to be working like it should.

Maybe only on win2K (Would be strange though) :?
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

nikos,

here's a snippet from dbmon output during subject paranormal behaviour {commented with what I did when on w2k}
448: Frame_80206 handling command 32786 {***capture/paste to clipboard using [Alt-C]}
448: Frame_80206 handling command 32786 {***capture/paste to clipboard using [Alt-Shift-C]}
448: UWM_VIEWDELAYSORT got rid of 0 redundant messages {***changed sort order***}
448: Frame_80206 handling command 32786 {***capture/paste to clipboard of previous display order using [Alt-Shift-C] !!! }
448: Frame_80206 handling command 32909 {***capture/paste to clipboard of correctly resorted display order using [Ctrl-P]}
448: Frame_80206 handling command 32786 {***capture/paste to clipboard of previous display order using [Alt-C] !!! }
No errors, but it shows the command ## for the steps.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't get it! :?
did you or did you not see the message "names copied" or something in the statusbar? It only requires something to be selected -- sort order is not relevant
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, I got the "full names copied" message in status bar
in response to both [Alt-C] & to [Alt-Shift-C].

But on closer examination, it may not be quite so paranormal.
It looks like I always get the same ascending by full name order pasted to the clipboard. (But expect the pasted order to be same as displayed order of items selected)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok, I see what you mean
the order of the copied paths in Alt+C is "unsorted" and won't change with the visible sort order. Ctrl+P on the other hand is "what you see is what you get"

looks like narayan has a problem with a global keyboard hook as i initially suspected
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Problem with copying 8.3 names in V50

Post by zippit »

narayan wrote:I am having a problem in V50 (in NT4 and 2k both): V50 simply does not copy the 8.3 names (the clipboard retains whatever was there earlier; and does not take the new 8.3 name).

I used the ALT and SHFT keys from both sides of the keyboard, and also tried different sequences (ALT first/SHFT first etc); but the result is the same.

Does anyone has similar experience, or any additional observations?
What does V50 refer to ? I use the mouse to do these kind of things and have no problems.Several years ago i saw 2xExplore as my salvation to the 8.3 limits of Winfile.
:?:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Fred, you have raised a sorting-related issue, which is a separate thing.
(I had conveyed that problem to Nikos some time ago.)

Coming to the problem I described:
Yes, I got the "full names copied" message in status bar
in response to both [Alt-C] & to [Alt-Shift-C].

In case of ALT+SHFT+C, I don't see any message in the message bar. The "Selected full names copied to clipboard" message appears only in case of ALT+C. In this regard, my observation differs from yours.

Try this: put something else on clipboard (some other filename, for example) and THEN try to take a copy of a single 8.3 name. The clipboard will still show the old contents--as if you have never tried the ALT+SHFT+C command.

You can do this by opening a "scratch pad" (a blank txt file) (using F7) and then keep pasting the clipboard contents (CTRL+V) to see what you've got in it.

The simplest experiment goes like this:

1. Select a file with long name. Press CTRL+P or ALT+C.

2. Open the "scratch pad" and paste the clipboard contents.

3. Go back to x2, and ALT+SHFT+C on the same file.

4. Open the "scratch pad" and paste the clipboard contents. Instead of showing the 8.3 name, the clipboard shows the same old content that was captured in step-2. That means x2 has not captured 8.3 name.

5. Now from Edit menu, select "Copy Names" option. But before clicking on it, press SHFT.

6. Open the "scratch pad" and paste the clipboard contents.

This time, the 8.3 name is copied correctly.

The behavior is the same with NT4 and 2k, so I think this is not NT4 problem.

Conclusion: x2 works with menu, but not with ALT+SHFT+C.

* Are you trying to copy 8.3 names of multiple files? That is not necessary-- try a single file that has a name more than 8 characters long (we need to see "~1" at the end after conversion)

I don't think my ALT+SHFT+C is stolen by other application, because it should have resulted in some other action. I don't see anything happening when I press ALT+SHFT+C; either when x2 is running or when no application is running.

Am I correct in assuming that the "stealer" application has to be active (even if in the systray) to be able to steal this shortcut; otherwise it will come back to x2?

Zippit, "V50" is actually "version 0.0.0.50", the latest version available from the site.

In fact, I never use 8.3 filenames; so they are not a problem for me personally. So, I was not looking for a solution: my feedback was purely as a tester, and the issue here is: why a certain shortcut is not working in x2.

If you are using mouse to copy the short filename, you must be using some shell extension utility that provides that option in the context menu; such as Ninotech Pathcopy (available here: http://home.worldonline.dk/ninotech/). It has many more options (some are even customizable).
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Narayan, I haver tried your steps on my pc and laptop (WinNT and Win98 respectively) and the results I got coresponded with what should happen. Alt+C gived me the path and file name, Alt+Shift+C gives me the path and 8.3 format file name, Ctrl+P copies the columns, and using the menu for Alt+Shift+C gives me the shortened result again. The results are given below in the order described above;

What does happen is that in the status bar it states "Selected full name(s) copied to the clipboard" when using Alt+Shift+C. I think this should change.

C:\temp5\8_Denominator time start.csv

C:\temp5\8_DENO~1.CSV

Name Size Modified Attributes Version Comment
8_Denominator time start.csv 134 12/11/03 18:38:46 ---A--

C:\temp5\8_DENO~1.CSV
Vas
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

So-
* you and JRz have all correct results (NT/98/XP),
* I have only the shortcut missing (NT4/2k)

In the mean time, I'd like to persue this hypothesis that my ALT+SHFT+C is stolen by some other application. As I said, it does not result in any action, except for turning the mouse pointer into hourglass for about 3 seconds..DBMon also does not reportbany activity.

Anyone has any idea how to check system-wide/application-specific assignents of shortcuts? Any specific registry locations to be checked? Any registry/process explorer that can do this?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

narayan, you've mentioned in a previous post about using MWSnap as a screen grabber. I have looked at this and there are a multitude of hotkeys to choose from. Have you by accident assigned one of these keys to Alt+Shift+C?
Vas
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Narayan,

I had tried your "Try this..." at first & all was as expected with different single filenames in sequence, with hotkeys & with using menu sequence.
Then I tried to read between the lines of your original post & find whether there was something that resulted in your complaint:
but the result is the same.

The only thing that was the same was the sort order when multiple filenames were selected.

So at this point, I would agree with your (& vserghi's) latest hypothesis that there is likely another app using the key combo [Alt-Shift-C] on your machine.