Doing and expecting too much

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Doing and expecting too much

Post by zippit »

nikos,Does it not appear that some computer users are expecting too much convience,by you or BG Inc.When i use ctrl,alt,del at startup i get just 2 entries Explorer and systray and go from there.I use selective startup. Multitasking is a great thing,but you can only go so far.
:wink:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ah! what would we be without fussy customers pushing us though? We would still be up in the trees with the rest of the monkeys!
kev
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kev »

zippit i thought you might be interested to know that windows me is not infact a true multitasking operating system, since it is built upon dos.

maybe you would not be put off running multiple processes on a fully pre-emptive multitasking os, such as win2k or xp, which offer improved multitasking performance and far superior stability

plus when u press ctrl-alt-del u get a much better task manager :)
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks

Post by zippit »

kev wrote:zippit i thought you might be interested to know that windows me is not infact a true multitasking operating system, since it is built upon dos.

maybe you would not be put off running multiple processes on a fully pre-emptive multitasking os, such as win2k or xp, which offer improved multitasking performance and far superior stability

plus when u press ctrl-alt-del u get a much better task manager :)
But,i will stick with some reference to Dos.Besides i have seen Dos command lines posted here,without knowing what ver of Windows is being used.Can you actually use a Dos command line in run menu with XP???
:?:
eg:C: mem/c/p
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the Run dialog can run many console programs, if they can be located in the PATH. But some of them require the DOS command processor. E.g. "dir" on its own won't run but "cmd /K dir" will.

but you don't need the Run dialog for that. Just type these commands in 2x's addressbar, starting with a dollar sign $, like "$ dir"
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

GUI interface

Post by zippit »

Aren't we digressing here.Desktop icons,shortcuts seem to do all i want.They can be edited if needed.
Of couse though i do not know what a console program is.Perhaps you might explain further.
Just remember,2x is great for 90% of what i do "easier"
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

console programs are those from long long time ago that used to run on computers with MSDOS, before windows were popular. Now these relics are run in their special console windows. If you never used MSDOS, you don't need them!