Crashes if Preview window in open and an MOV file selected

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mikecox

Crashes if Preview window in open and an MOV file selected

Post by mikecox »

In the last 10 minute, X2 had crashed 4 times. When I rebooted it I had to reset the bookmarks and tabs I'd set up just before it crashed.

The last two crashes occurred when I clicked an MOV file with the preview window open. So after the 4th crash, I opened X2 again, went back to the folders I was working in and clicked the MOV file, with the preview window closed, it didn't crash, but as soon as I opened the Preview window it crashed.

In the past few months, actually, it's been more, X2 has crashed at least once or twice a day, sometimes more! My IT service has scanned my system and can find nothing wrong. I'm beginning to opt for Explorer, especially when I'm busy and don't want to be interrupted by an inevitable crash. I've also gotten into the habit of Exiting X2 right after I use it so my configurations will get saved before the next crash. Restarting it fresh each time seems to minimize the number of crashes.
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Surface Book, i7 processor, 475 SSD,16GB memory,
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crashes if Preview window in open and an MOV file selected

Post by nikos »

from what you're saying what is crashing is not xplorer2 but windows media player running inside xplorer2. Is it all MOV files that crash or just a few of them? Most likely you need an updated codec pack, google for K-lite codec pack
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Sadly this is not the only situation where X2, all too often, crashes.

I have been trying to note the events related to these daily crashes but there seems to be no one causing event. Usually, I'm simply managing files and folders, doing a search, moving files, checking properties, renaming files, etc. Nothing complicated or demanding.

Often I am forewarned, but not always, by a "Not Responding" error, which can occur at a point when I've just made the X2 window active and clicked on some simple action, like "rename". At other times X2 just goes into Debug mode and shuts down. I am seldom making any heavy demands of the program, sometimes the preview window is open but usually not, but I always have 2 panes open.

It seems to help if I exit X2 every time I use it, and reopen it when I need it, but that's tedious.

I've considered the possibility that this is a system-wide problem and had my IT service look into it but they have found nothing. My system appears to be virus and malware free.

If it's any help I've put a link to my MSINFO file here https://app.box.com/s/z5z0rcp4xgd4vwfe1wgn
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

I just Installed K-lite, then, without rebooting I previewed a pdf file, which displayed as unformatted text.

At that point, x2 went into "not responding" mode, I waited for several minutes and at some point, a context window opened and I couldn't make it active; clicking on its options did nothing, and it would not close it. Also, while typing this message there was a keyboard response delay that contained until I went to the Task Manager and shut x2 down. At that point, x2 and the context menu closed and keyboard response returned to normal.

Here's link to the screenshot https://app.box.com/s/2faou3xlak4z4gdwhu8alz8zuuzslqdi
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

I was trying to backup several very large files on an SD card by copying them to an external HDD drive. But when I dragged the files to the HDD X2 immediately went into "not responding" mode and I had no way of knowing what was happening.

I imagined x2 was chocking up and that it would eventually catch up and at some point, I would discover the process had completed successfully. I waited for several minutes but got tired of wondering what was happening so I shut the program down, re-opened it and tried again. This time I got several "unexpected error" messages so I closed x2 and opened Explorer.

When I tried the operation in that program a window opened that displayed a progress bar indicating the percentage of completion and the number of items being copied. I actually dragged a second large file over to the HDD and a second progress bar was added to the current progress bar and I was able to watch the progress of both copy operations at once.

I'm sure others aren't having the kind of problem I"ve been having with x2, or you'd be pulling your hair out, but if Explorer is able to handle 2 large copy operation flawlessly, at the same time, the first time, wouldn't that rule out the argument that there must be some kind system problems causing x2 to crash frequently or be unable to handle a single copy operation on my computer?
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

I am sorry to hear you are having such issues with xplorer2 but it certainly isn't the case for most people. It is quite hard for me to tell you what's wrong, but if you can figure out how to use this tool and send me the "not responding" minidump file I will tell you what's causing the hangs
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

I went to the Reliability Monitor and found all the X2 and x2.exe "Stopped working" incidents and have listed the dates and some of the times. I also pasted a few data reports.

https://app.box.com/s/jbpivx3hgfmsv9n3t2nfq4bo4w336fpg

Does this provide any helpful information?

I would love to figure out why x2 and x2.exe keeps stopping and shutting down on my win10Pro Surface Book laptop.
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

please get the latest version 3501 and if it does it again use HELP > CRASH INFORMATION menu command. I thought your program was "not responding" but if it is actually crashing, it is easier to send me the minidump file i need. THanks
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Ok, thanks.
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

x2 continues to "stop" and there are no data dumps when it happens.But I've attached a bunch more screenshots from the Reliability Monitor.

Last night, during the second stoppage, when the "debug" option popped up I noticed that my Full Shot program was displaying "not responding" and as soon as I clicked the x2's "debug" option that message went away. I don't know if there's a connection or if this suggests a System issue. Like I've said, I've repeatedly had "Geeksquad" service run there screen utilities and they never find any problems.

https://app.box.com/s/z5z0rcp4xgd4vwfe1wgn
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

so your xplorer2 crashes when renaming folders, when previewing PDFs, when previewing movies... it is a disaster :)
as this is not normal behaviour for the program, it is hard for me to understand what's wrong. Can you turn off the quickviewer panel for a while and see if it still crashes randomly?
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Actually, the quick viewer panel is off most of the time, I only turn it on when I want to preview an image but there doesn't seem to be a consistent relationship with the quick view panel or with renaming files operation. The crash seems to be arbitrary and not always related to previewing or renaming files.

From now on I will try to take note of exactly what I am doing, and what programs are open at the time of each crash.

Is the Reliability data of any use, should I copy it each time x2 crashes?

Could this be related to the fact that the Surface Book uses UEFI instead of a BIOS?
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the reliability reports seem to show that a crash is in a system component, so that doesn't help much. If you can get a reproducible simple way that I can try to crash xplorer2, that will be the best
mikecox

Post by mikecox »

Ok, well, at this point MOV files appear to consistently cause a crash if the preview window is open, and something renaming a file, from the context menu, will crash x2.

It's not Rename that causes the crash it's the condition created just before the rename action takes place that causes x2 to crash, otherwise, no crash occurs. The forced restart seems to clear that condition, so the crash doesn't occur after it's been restarted. If that connection is being set up inside x2, and rebooting x2 clears the condition so the crash doesn't occur again, at least not until the condition gets created again, then wouldn't that point to an issue with x2? The reason I ask is because I'm worried that it might be a System issue, in which case I should be looking at a Windows re-install.

btw what exactly does the Debug function do and what if I didn't click the option when x2 stops?
Michael
Windows 10 Pro
Chrome browser
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for the MOV crash, did you get a recent version of klite?

as for the debug button that won't do much for your case (it sends data to microsoft)