Where does the help file go?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

1. I don't know of any literature for newbies on registry. It is still arcane for most of us. But you can download some free registry help e-books that point to general-purpose, cut-and-dried registry-tweaking. They won't be useful for specific software, though.
2. Whatever registry keys/values are not specified explicitly by the software authors are strictly off-limits. And when the author recommends some values, never enter any outside values.
3. You must take a back up of the registry (try the freeware ERUNT http://www.webattack.com/get/erunt.html) before trying ANYTHING with registry. Any mishap and you can expect a partial/full loss of data.
4. Your data also must be backed up before you try anything.
mbrice

2x help file; registry

Post by mbrice »

I think I'll just sit tight after all, but thanks. If I were to screw up anything in the registry, our IT people would be mightily p----ed at me.

TTFN
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

If you double click on the chm file does it open up the help file? I seem to remember that the F1 key was activated on a certain version of 2x. Do you have the latest version?
Vas
mbrice

Where does the Help File go?

Post by mbrice »

vserghi wrote:If you double click on the chm file does it open up the help file? I seem to remember that the F1 key was activated on a certain version of 2x. Do you have the latest version?

Nope, I get an error message: access denied. I think there is some sort of network-level control at work here. I give up--but thanks for trying!

--MB
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Where does the Help File go?

Post by zippit »

mbrice wrote:
vserghi wrote:If you double click on the chm file does it open up the help file? I seem to remember that the F1 key was activated on a certain version of 2x. Do you have the latest version?

Nope, I get an error message: access denied. I think there is some sort of network-level control at work here. I give up--but thanks for trying!

--MB
I like to think that forums where meant for the avg home user.
If you are experinced enough to Network than this should be easy.
Ask your administrator.Hey Boss i got a problem.
:oops:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.