Where does the help file go?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mbrice

Where does the help file go?

Post by mbrice »

Just downloaded 2xExplorer.chm, but can't get the program to recognize that it's there. I put it in the same folder as the executable; was that wrong? If so, which folder should it be in?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

You sghould be fine if all files in the 2xExplorer "package" went into the same folder with the executable as you say.

Here's an example of what you should have if you copied everything to the location suggested in Install.txt:

C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.chm
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.exe
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.exe.manifest
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.rtf
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\Faq.txt
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\Install.txt
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\Keyboard.txt
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\Licence.txt
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\Newest.txt
C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\registry.txt

With the above you should get the help file by depressing F1 when 2xExplorer is the active application.
mbrice

Help file location

Post by mbrice »

Well, those files are all in the same folder with the executable, but still no help--just an error msg saying the help file it isn't available, and asking if I want to go to the website to download it.

Could the fact that I'm a network user without admin permissions possibly have anything to do with this?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Well, I'll have to pass on that last question -- maybe a more experience 2X user can respond.

But I did have another thought & it only applies if you had installed 2X piecemeal, or have made a bad registry tweak. It's my often-overkill suggestion to delete all X2 registry keys and then restart X2

Assuming you are familiar with REGEDIT, the steps are straightforward:
1. close all instances of 2xExplorer
2. go into the registry [START ... RUN ... REGEDIT] and delete the 2xExplorer key & all its subkeys. (found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc ).
3. close REGEDIT
4. restart 2xExplorer
mbrice

2x help file location

Post by mbrice »

fgagnon:

Thanks for your advice, but alas I can't touch the registry without admin permissions--that's life in the U.S. govt. The sysops don't want us users mucking up their settings, and I can't say as I blame them.

I think you may be right about the piecemeal installation, which is what I have--because that's the way the installation software is confirgured: you don't get the help file with the installation download, you have to download it separately. I think the 2x people need to rethink that M.O.

--MB
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Where does the help file go?

Post by zippit »

mbrice wrote:Just downloaded 2xExplorer.chm, but can't get the program to recognize that it's there. I put it in the same folder as the executable; was that wrong? If so, which folder should it be in?
Thats the right place,try F1 after you start 2x.i hope you mean 2x.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

you don't get the help file with the installation download, you have to download it separately. I think the 2x people need to rethink that M.O.
The issue in 2x was to keep the package small.

With the immensely more powerful Xplorer2 (the worthy successor of 2Xplorer), you will get two help files: one a shorter version (just a walk-through) and the other a larger version (for newbies and experts alike).

Probably the shorter version will be packaged together with x2. It makes sense to keep the jumbo book separate: only those who want to use it (either because they are newbies or they want to explore the real power of x2) will want to download it.

That said, your problem seems to be registry-related: later addition of the CHM file should work fine.

If you are able to instal new applications, then you must be having some control on registry, despite some SysOp controls. Have you tried shifting everything to a new folder and restarting the PC? Also ensure that your "old" copy is not running when you start the new copy.

Just a wild shot where everything fails.. you've nothing to lose anyway!
mbrice

2xExplorer help file; Xplorer2 bookmarks

Post by mbrice »

Registry: As far as I know, I can't touch the registry; I can only "install" applications that don't try to write to the registry or the systems folders (OS=Win2K on NT4 network). Any true install program runs up against InstallShield, and that's all she wrote.

New question, if anyone has time: how do the bookmarks in Xplorer2 work? I just copied the alpha version to my system, but can't seem to set boomarks or go to them at all. I'm not exactly a newbie, but this is making me feel quite stupid.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

a. If you can only install apps that don't write to the registry, that may be core to your difficulties, because all the 2x/x2 products try to write their settings to registry upon exiting, so next startup is with previous settings you had made (i.e. "where you left off").

b. x2 can set only one bookmark (different from 2xExplorer).
Use Ctrl+Shift+1, or via pulldown menu: GoTo|Set bookmark to bookmark the active pane folder. It is then accessed with Ctrl+1 . It's kept in the registry under MainFrame Settings \ pidlBookmark -- so it looks like you may have to set it each session, which is a bummer. :(

NIKOS, how about augmenting x2 to create an x2.ini file for non-admin-privileged users, who are locked out of registry.? (There must be a way to detect this situation, & branch accordingly.) :)

P.S. mbrice, You never actually stated that you had tried to run REGEDIT.
( Start|Run... REGEDIT )
It is my assumption that you did, but without success.
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JRz »

fgagnon wrote:P.S. mbrice, You never actually stated that you had tried to run REGEDIT.
( Start|Run... REGEDIT )
It's possible that you can't use regedit (if I had to adminster your system, I wouldn't let you use it 8) ), but still are able to enter key and values in the 'Current User' Hive key of the registry.

fgagnon mentioned the procedure to use the bookmark in X2. If you are able to set it and close all instances of X2, then start X2 again and still have the bookmark you set in the previous session, you are able to write to HKCU in the registry. Other settings should then be kept between sessions too. If the bookmark is gone, you have no permission to alter the HKCU in the registry. In that case you should consider asking your system administrator to enable this, because many pieces of software use this 'personal settings' approach and many won't work as they should because of this impairment!
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

And further, you can extend the bookmarks to unlimited number, by pointing this single bookmark to a folder that contains only the links to all the other folders you want.

Procedure:
1. Create a new folder anywhere in your disk. I will call it "Favorites" for this discussion, but you can name it anyway you like.

2. Open this "Favorites" folder.

3. Press CTRL+SHFT+1. That will set your single bookmark at this folder. From now on, whenever you press CTRL+1, x2 will open this folder in the active pane. You will have to click on the appropriate bookmark to jump to it.

(This is much like the two-key speed dial feature in phones.)

4. Now add bookmarks to "Favorites" folder.
For that, open the "Favorites" folder in the inactive pane, and in your active pane, navigate to the first location to be bookmarked. Drag it to the inactive pane (ie, the "Favorite" folder), but while dragging, press the CTRL and SHFT keys. The mouse pointer shows a link symbol as you drag.

A link to your location is added to the "Favorites" folder.

5. Repeat step-4 for all your other locations.
mbrice

X2--bookmarks & registry

Post by mbrice »

JRz & narayan:

Actually, I can save the bookmark setting, so I guess the registry isn't totally off limits after all. And yes, the folder of shortcuts is a good workaround to the one-bookmark limit--thanks!

One question: I must admit I've never even tried to mess with the registry before, with or without using regedit. Might one of you have a moment to give me a quick-and-dirty on the "without" option?

Thanks again to all for your helpful input!
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

With and without

Post by zippit »

There is no without,you have to run regedit and find what you want to edit.Probably in software.I don't think this will get your F1 to work if it doesn't already.See my post though on exporting it first.
Do you have a home computer,and 2x ? deos the F1 work there ?
:?:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Try Registrar lite (freeware) from resplendence.com.

great explorer-like experience for editing registry. Allows you to enter decimal values directly!
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

decimals ...

Post by zippit »

narayan wrote:Try Registrar lite (freeware) from resplendence.com.

great explorer-like experience for editing registry. Allows you to enter decimal values directly!
Thats all well and good,but not all members are Computer science grads.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.