Network file copy problem.

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

durf786

Network file copy problem.

Post by durf786 »

I'm having a problem with network file copies. Copying from the network to my PC works okay, but I cannot copy from my PC to another machine on the network. 2xE thinks it has copied the file okay, but it isn't there. If I try to repeat the procedure, 2xE asks me if I want to overwrite the phantom file. What I've been doing is copying the file in 2xE and then using Windows Explorer (blecch) to paste it to the network drive. BTW, this happens on all of the PCs on the network, all of which are running W2K or XP. Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must be running XP on your PC?
this is a recent trouble, where XP instead of copying to the actual destination, put the files in a folder in your PC instead! (can't remember the name, you can search for the files you copied by name under C:\documents and settings\yourusername\). Perhaps XP expects that you'll purge all the files at once, like when you burn CDs.

I'll have to do some research for that

P.S. Are you trying to copy whole directories? Try a single file from "My Documents" and see what happens. Also the name of the local folder must be NetHood
durf786

XP

Post by durf786 »

XP does some wacky things, I've noticed. However, the same thing happens when I (attempt to) copy a file from a W2K box to an XP box. Also, copying works okay in Windows Explorer.

I haven't been able to copy an entire directory - I have to create the directory on the target machine and then copy the individual files... I just tested that with Windows Explorer and it works okay.

Thanks.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

hmm... your difficulties do sound a bit whacky.

It may be helpful if you share some background info with readers (& potential helpers) here on the board. ... such as:

a. How long have you been using 2xExplorer & what version are you running? [can we rule out a new user set-up problem?]

b. What OS are you running on the machine using 2xExplorer (as opposed to networked machines where you are trying to copy files from/to)

c. Which of several potential techniques are you using to attempt the "copy" operations? [e.g.: drag-n-drop; or copy-to&paste-from clipboard, etc]

d. When you say a file "is not there" after attemped copy, what tool are you using to verify that? [2XExplorer, m$explorer]

{I assume you have the requisite access privileges for the files & directories you are trying to work with.}
durf786

Post by durf786 »

(Note to self: remember to copy responses before attempting to submit! :roll: )

a. About a year and a half. v1.4.1.12.

b. One XP and two W2K PCs have 2xE.

c. Both drag & drop and copy & paste.

d. 2xE, Windows Explorer, and DOS.

I have administrator privileges on all machines. And, please recall, Windows Explorer works fine.

Thanks!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

@Note to self -
yeah... I've lost a few posts, too. The board is unpredictably erratic a good deal of the time. :(

@a.b.c.d. -
Thanks for the clarifications. Sounds like a genuine problem.
I also have used 2x with networked devices, but have not seen the behavior you report with the little bit of testing I've done with it.
[I've switched to x2 for everyday operation]

The only comments I have left are the standard t-shooting ones like:
When did you first notice the problem?
Did it ever work correctly?
What changes have you recently made to your system?
any new hardware?
any new software?
etc ...

Good luck!
-Fred-
durf786

Post by durf786 »

I don't recall that 2x ever worked correctly, but I really don't remember. It's sort of a permanent senior moment.

I plan to switch to x2 as soon as Nikos stops posting those dire warnings about it's being an alpha version!

Thanks, Fred.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

regarding the alpha statements -- from what I've seen, x2 is a quite mature product (in that the basic functionality works well, it is quite robust, and it's loaded with nice features) :D ; but nikos and many of his critics are perfectionists. This situation keeps x2 in a constant state of evolutionary change. Although there are a few issues with it that still should be worked out, I would rate it past "beta" and put it at "delta" for the obvious reason. :hehe:
Also the user interface for customisation relies heavily on registry tweaks -- perhaps the only thing about it that is is really "not for the faint-hearted".
So, jump on in -- the water's fine! :spin:
Alvaro

Network file copy problem

Post by Alvaro »

Hi,

I faced this problem too today. I tried to copy a file from my computer to other and the file was not there. I noted this problem occurred when I tried to copy from the panel in my pc to a network shortcut panel. When I browse to the target folder in network the copy goes successfully. So I thing this problem occurs only when you use a network shortcut as target. I´m using Windows 2000 SP4 in all pc and 2xExplorer Product Build: 1.4.1.12.

I hope this help you.
Alvaro
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a quick fix to this type of problem is to use right-dragging to copy the files. This uses an alternative mechanism and should copy the files accross computers without troubles -- or let me know!
durf786

Post by durf786 »

Right-clicking and dragging DOES work!
Duconlajoie

Post by Duconlajoie »

Ahhh! :D

Thanks for the nice work-around.
This problem has been bugging me for quite a few weeks.

:oops: shame on me for not having tried that before!

By the way, is there a good reason for not being able to delete directories straight from the directory tree :?:

Well, I hope your father get better soon.
Regards,

JG
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

to any people that have this problem:
what's the path shown in the addressbar (or pane title) for such network folders that have problems with file transfers?
durf786

Post by durf786 »

The path I'm seeing is my nethood folder under "Documents & Settings". :?
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

That's no surprise.
I had lots of search-hangs with the next-gen product (x2) until I put the ...\NETHOOD\ folders for every user on the Find BlackList. :)