Registry settings

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Doofusdcat

Registry settings

Post by Doofusdcat »

I have tried many Explorer replacement programs and 2xplorer is best so I'm sure someone out here can help me. I am embedding 2xplorer into another application that I am creating. Actually the "embedding" simple is calling the program from inside my program. Since all the settings for 2xplorer are found in the registry(found this in the docs) it was simple about how the setting work and simple duplicate my current settings into the registry before calling 2xplorer. Everything works fine up to a point. The size of the overall windows is correct but it simply will not turn off any of the toolbars or the right or left pane. I have scanned the reg files before and after and I cannot find any differences my settings and when 2xplorer saves them. But when 2xplorer saves those same settings it keeps them, but when I make those same changes by writing directly to the registry they just don't seem to work. Any clues would be very helpful.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As I understand it ...

2xExplorer picks up its settings from the registry when it opens.
It does not look in the registry for most settings while it is running.
And it saves current settings upon closing (mostly) if the option to save state on exit is selected (the default) -- thus overriding reg.settings you try to make while it is open.
{view|options|general...} & reg.key {General Settings\bSaveSettings}
So I think you see how you might need to step around (timing-wise) when to open/close 2xEplorer & make registry settings so they get picked up as intended when you next call 2xExplorer.

... and if that's not what's going on, someone who is more familiar with 2x (as opposed to x2) will chime in with the correct explanation... as I suspect will be needed, because upon re-reading your post, I now see that it looks like you tried to take all the necessary timing precautions.

Hope this helps, -fg-
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Registry settings

Post by JRz »

I think you might find it useful to make a seperate registry entry for the settings you want to use when starting 2X from your program.

When you specify the '/S key name' option on the command line (or when starting it from a program), 2X will use the registry key 'key name' in stead of its default.

So if you first use the '/S key name' option when starting 2X from a command prompt to make all adjustments so 2X behaves the way you want, it will store these settings in this separate key.
Then you can use the same '/S key name' option when starting 2X from your program and things should work nicely :)

Mind you, this only works if you want to use the same settings each time you start 2X from the program! But I suspect that is just what you want!

You can keep on using 2X the normal way without using the command line option '/S key name'. That way it won't mess with the settings you so carefully prepared for use from your program 8)

You can read about these options (and more) in the docs. You probably missed this one ;) (/S is described in most detail in 2xExplorer.rtf)

Hope this helps too :) Jan.
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn: