Folder subtree data

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Blue Giant

Folder subtree data

Post by Blue Giant »

Hi

I am a new user and wanted to be able to use the functionality that allowed me to print an entire sub-directory tree and also view the file and folder information contained within the tree.

The help file 'Folder Subtree Data' tells me that I need to right click on the window, but this only brings up the standard windows context box. I was expecting to see a totally different context box?!?!

I've asked a couple of other people to check what I was doing and they are as confused as me as I hate sounding like a moron :roll:

Any help would be really appreciated

Cheers
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

First, you need to open a "folder statistics" window:
(CTRL+D, or Tools | Folder Data)
& focus must be in the active file pane, not the tree pane.

THEN you can r-click within that window to sort by name or size and print the resulting complete tabulation.

But I must admit that it is not clear from the helps to find what to do FIRST. :wink:
Blue Giant

Post by Blue Giant »

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I got it to work after a couple of attempts, but could you tell me if there is any reason as to why it won't work on some folder trees but will on others? Is there a limit to the number of sub-folders that it can search?

If it is any help, I'm looking at files/folders on a shared network, but there are no access problems as I can view the files OK.

Cheers
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I can't answer that one, except to report that explorer2 (the nextgen outgrowth from 2x) also has problems expanding Network paths automatically -- especially when they include shortcuts (links) or encounter a folder to which access is a problem. :?