How do I filter directories?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

kimmy

How do I filter directories?

Post by kimmy »

I finally got exasperated enough with Windows explorer to search the net for some fixes.

I found 2X and its great but I cant fix my major gripe which is the list of directories in the right hand panel.

I have directories with many web pages saved from IE6 and often have to scroll several pages to reach the html. If I want to see directories, I can always expand the tree view on the left!

I thought the filter option might lose the directories but they seem immune to the filter's action. Can it be done?
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

Work on 2x has been finished for some time now. You may want to try the alpha (soon to be beta) version of x2. It has exactly the feature you need (Alt+J).

The latest version is 0.0.0.57. And is on his web site. DO read the alpha text file that comes with it. It explains what features it is capable of.
Vas
JRz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How do I filter directories?

Post by JRz »

kimmy wrote:I thought the filter option might lose the directories but they seem immune to the filter's action. Can it be done?
You can do something with filtering, but it is not as clean as the feature in X2 which looses the folders altogether (Hide folders Alt+J). But maybe you can live with this:

Apply filter *.html (you seem to want only those files)
Sort the pane by name descending.

Folders are now at the bottom, so your files will be displayed on top.

But I agree with vserghi. Try X2 in stead. You'll like it :)
Dumb questions are the ones that are never asked :turn:
kimmy

Thanks Guys

Post by kimmy »

Thanks guys. I got the alpha and the <ALT>J is exactly what I want.

All I need now is a method to save the option. Whenever I start, folders become visible again. I've tried 'save settings' and even 'save folder settings'.

Ah well, I guess a few extra keystrokes every time I launch is a small price to pay for functionality.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

if you want to reach the first file with a particular extension e.g. HTML, just press <shift+H>, i.e. the first letter of the extension. That allows you to move fast when you are sorted by type; see keyboard.txt for more info