A: Drive not Refreshed

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

larrytheotter

A: Drive not Refreshed

Post by larrytheotter »

I am using 2xplorer, Product Build: 1.4.1.12.
I will try to describe my problem:

1. insert floppy #1 with file A on it and it shows in a file pane.
2. insert different floppy #2 with file B on it. File A continues to show in file pane.
3. Press CTL-R (refresh) to refresh the pane, but File A continues to appear.
4. delete all files from the file pane. No files appear. disk is empty.
5. re-insert floppy #1. file A appears in file pane.
6. re-insert floppy #2. Press CTL-R. File A remains in the display, eventhough there are no files on the diskette!

Is this a user error of some setting I have missed or some other problem?

Thanks for your help. - larrytheotter :(
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what happens if instead of ctrl+R you re-read A: (e.g. click the drivebar)
larrytheotter

Post by larrytheotter »

nikos,

i tried this with win explorer, and the results were the same. i tried it by clicking on the drive bar in 2x, and the results were the same.

i tried it after a reboot with both 2x and win explorer, and the RESULTS WERE NORMAL, as expected, with a different diskette yielding different filenames. :?:

so i think it somehow has to do with memory(?), although i have no idea how, why or what to do other than reboot.

so thanks for your response, and unless there is more to check, i guess it is something to live with.
Darren

Post by Darren »

larrytheotter wrote:i tried it after a reboot with both 2x and win explorer, and the RESULTS WERE NORMAL, as expected, with a different diskette yielding different filenames. :?:
I get this problem quite a bit with Windows XP and my CD drives. Nomatter what I do they won't refresh till I reboot. But as the problem is the same with Windows Explorer, I assume it's Windows at fault and not 2xExplorer. Never tried it with floppies though.
Darren
TechC25

I hope this will help, I found the information on the site.

Post by TechC25 »

2xExplorer can automatically sense changes in the contents of its panes for nearly all drives attached to your system. As you understand, "nearly all" means that in some cases it goes deaf, as in the network drives connected to a NT machine. Here the situation is similar to the older versions, i.e. 2xExplorer will properly auto-refresh such deaf panes if and only if the change originated from within the program (eg. copy/delete/etc.). That as usual won't extend to some context menu actions; head scratching is expected for zip files creation and similar. This behaviour is for both pure network and mapped drives. It does not appear for network drives on 9x machines but not too many people go networking on such OSs, dinnit? The resolution here is to manually press <Ctrl+R> to refresh some externally modified deaf pane.
NOTE: <Ctrl+R> doesn't work in the tree pane; to force a refresh there you just need to collapse & re-expand the parent of the offending node.