Writing to a CD

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Higgy

Writing to a CD

Post by Higgy »

Is it possible to write a file to a CD using 2xExplorer?
Whenever I enter CTRL-F5 to copy a file to a CD, I see the error message "Cannot copy xxxx(Filename):Files on this CD are read-only. You can still copy new files to this writable CD, which will replace files already on the disc."
If it is possible, how do I do it?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

haven't really tried it but (i think) it only works if you have DirectCD installed. winXP have this weird mechanism of storing files "waiting to be burned" and in the end you have to do the burning for all the files. But this won't work with 2x for sure (neither it does with the new xplorer2)
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

OK, that's fine.
I already knew I could bookmark the CD Burning folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning).
After I copy something there, I'll just use the CD Writing Wizard to do the actual writing, as I've done in the past.
Thanks for the reply :)
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

Does drag-n-drop work? (It should).

Also, do you have a drop-target somewhere in System Tray? Usually, the packet-writing applications have that special way of adding new items...
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes

Post by zippit »

You need a cd-rw disk and run Nero incd.It's just like useing a floppy.When it's full,burn it to a cd-r,then format the cd-rw and start over.
:D
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes

Post by zippit »

oops.
:wink:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Narayan,

I tried the drag-n-drop method to copy to the CD Drive, but I saw the same error message as before.
I don't have a drop-target in the system tray. To what packet-writing application are you reffering?
I don't have DirectCD installed. The only two applications I've used for CD writing are the ones included with my computer's software, Roxio's CD Writing Wizard built into Windows XP, and HP's RecordNow.
I've been trying out PowerDesk also, and if you use the Copy command or drag-n-drop to the CD Drive, the files go to the CD Burning folder (staging area), waiting to be written to the CD.
Maybe 2xExplorer should work that way also.

Zippit,

What you suggest does sound like a better way to go. I just might start doing it that way.
I take it Nero is commercial software?
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

A packet-writing application allows you to treat a CD like a floppy (like zippit mentioned). See http://www.willowsoft.com/backup/tech_p ... iting.html

This is a nice alternative to writing an entire CD at one go, as the main CD writer programs (Roxio and Nero, etc) do..Both Roxio and Nero (yes, they are commercial software) have a packet-writing application built in with their standard CD-writer applications.

You have to format the CD first, before packet-writing on it. Unformatted CDs won't work.

Then you can display the contents of this CD in one of the folder panes and use drag-n-drop to copy/move items to it. As soon as you drop the items into CD, they are written on it: there is no "stage" (if I have understood you correctly, what you have is a sort of "catchment" area that only holds the dropped items; but you have to burn them onto CD using a wizard).

There is another mechanism too, which allows you to use these applications without cluttering your screen: they have a catcher window in/near your System Tray. This little window stays on top. So you can drop anything in them and burn it on the CD.

The (hidden) penalty to be paid is each time you add a new load to such a formatted CD, you lose a few MBs on the CD (which goes towards maintaining addresses).

Now I am not a CD-writer Guru, so I can't talk authoritatively about these applications, but your HP application could have a packet-writing part.
Before investing in Nero/Roxio, please check!

In fact, I think your application is a packet-writing type; because it is rejecting the CD-R (either it is indirectly asking for a CD-RW; or it is pointing at the fact that your CD is not properly formatted for the packet-writing).

Is this the first time you are using the CD-writer in that mode; or could you do it before, but are having this problem only recently (especially with x2)?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

what you describe as a packet writer sounds like what directCD does. The problem with directCD is that it isn't a well established standard. You burn something on one machine and can't read it on another. Something you burned 3 years ago on a previous windows OS is likely to fail too.

i don't do much burning myself either
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Narayan,

2xExplorer's rejecting of the CD-R wasn't because I was using HP's RecordNow at the time. I haven't used HP's RecordNow in many months. I may try it again soon to see if it features packet-writing.

You may have misunderstood my original post. I thought that 2xExplorer either had its own method of writing to a CD (very unlikely, I knew), or that it would copy selected files to the CD Burning folder if the CD Drive was the destination folder (the method used by PowerDesk).

If files were copied to the CD Burning folder, I thought there might be a way to invoke Roxio'S CD Writing Wizard without leaving 2xExplorer (possibly using the Command Line).

I know I expect too much, but I like to do everything from the same application.:wink:
narayan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by narayan »

In fact my point was that x2 is not at the root of all the rejections: apparently, it simply passes on the error message generated by some other application.

So you have to find out exactly which application is generating that error message.

So far as sending all files straight to "CD burning folder" is concerned, nothing could be simpler: Use the F5/F6 dialog box to specify your destination folder; and use that each time. Then onwards use ALT+F5 (or ALT+F6).

@Commandline- over to our resident expert, JRz!
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

nikos wrote:what you describe as a packet writer sounds like what directCD does. The problem with directCD is that it isn't a well established standard. You burn something on one machine and can't read it on another. Something you burned 3 years ago on a previous windows OS is likely to fail too.

i don't do much burning myself either
Of course not,It was only meant as an alternate personal computer file storage medium,till it's full,instead of 400 floppys,in case of a hd crash.
Please let me know if you need more on this.
:D
p.s.I can still read my 1990 Atari floppys.
:P
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i wish i could read my Amiga floppies! :(
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

formating

Post by zippit »

nikos wrote:i wish i could read my Amiga floppies! :(
Atari was nice enough to allow ibm formating.I redid all mine before i went PC.I wish i could use my iff animation though.Need emulator.
:wink:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

my brother would know everything about emulators
i even seen him with ZX spectrum emulators -- that was a gas!
i'll ask him about atari, although as an amiga fan he probably would deny all knowledge of that "atari" thing ;)