Infotips for items

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MaxBlux

Infotips for items

Post by MaxBlux »

One of the things I need to do most often is see the size of a folder (preferable in Kbytes not absolute bytes).

With Win Explorer under W98, if I select a folder, the current size is instantly displayed in the Status bar.

Under XP, there is an option for info tips and if I hover over a folder in the right pane, the size of that folder is displayed in a balloon tip.

I'm embarassed to say that I have been unable to find a way for 2xExplorer to do this easily. I can use the TAB key to get to a pane and then Ctrl-A to select all files which tells me the size of all files (in absolute bytes). Unfortunately, I then have to divide that by 1024x1024 to be able to compare it with something close to 650K.

Of course the reason, I need to do this is to find out how close I am to 650K or 700K (the size of my CDRW disks).

Is there an easier way?

What is View - Options - Usability - "Infotips for items" supposed to do? Is that what I'm missing here? I can't see any effects.

2xExplorer has many many excellent features and overall is much superior to Windows Explorer. But I have found two issues that prevent it from achieving the "super star" status it deserves.

It's such a shame, really. The app is so well designed in about 98% of its approach. I don't know what happened to these two other areas.
MaxBlux

Post by MaxBlux »

Oops. Very sorry. I didn't see the Search tool.

I searched for Infotips and saw Nikos' thread.

I am currently running a dual boot and use W98 to access the net. So I understand that Infotips have no effect in W98.

Still, I would like to know the best way to see the size of the files in a folder - hopefully expressed in a number similar to 650K and hopefully in a way that I can quickly scan over a dozen or so folders and see the size of each quickly (instantly if possible).
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

search for bPlainBytesFormat in registry.txt