Customizing which columns are shown in Details

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

J44xm

Customizing which columns are shown in Details

Post by J44xm »

How can I customize which columns are shown in 2xExplorer's Details view? I can find no method within the program or any mention of this in the FAQ (and my quick e-mail went unanswered). Thanks much.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't think you can

Post by zippit »

Is it really that important ? Some menus like Outlook Express allow this but Lets hear from nikos.
I prefer list myself.
:lol:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: I don't think you can

Post by Morning Star »

zippit wrote:Is it really that important ?
Obviously it is important to him, or he wouldn't have brought it up...
zippit wrote:I prefer list myself.
Please explain: why is what you prefer relevant?

Are you really trying to be helpful, or just trying to goad people into doing things the same way as you? :evil:
Last edited by Morning Star on 2004 Apr 23, 03:33, edited 3 times in total.
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
Morning Star
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Customizing which columns are shown in Details

Post by Morning Star »

J44xm wrote:How can I customize which columns are shown in 2xExplorer's Details view? I can find no method within the program or any mention of this in the FAQ (and my quick e-mail went unanswered). Thanks much.
I don't think it is possible in 2xExplorer, but you could try the soon-to-be-beta xplorer². It has per-folder customisable columns, amongst many other uber-cool features... ;)
It is my job to comfort the disturbed,
and to disturb the comfortable.
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: I don't think you can

Post by zippit »

Morning Star wrote:
zippit wrote:Is it really that important ?
Obviously it is important to him, or he wouldn't have brought it up...
zippit wrote:I prefer list myself.
Please explain: why is what you prefer relevant?

Are you really trying to be helpful, or just trying to goad people into doing things the same way as you? :evil:
No i'm only saying i'm happy and don't see why this is so important and would like a relpy from him or her,so don't judge me.
As far as my way no,,except that i'm happy.
The order it's dislayed shouldn't matter as long as it's there.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
J44xm

Post by J44xm »

Zippit, I like to see certain information for all of my files, including Type. But 2xExplorer doesn't display extensions or Type names, it seems. At least it does sort by Type, though. Order might not matter to you, but some -- likely most, I'd like to think -- of us like to have our files in a specific order. It's strange to me that Explorer allows column customization, but not 2xExplorer.

Morning Star, thanks (for everything, if you get my drift). I do also have xplorer², and it is indeed awesome for an alpha, but I still sometimes switch to 2xExplorer. I just wish that I could customize individual folders with it. (In music folders, I want to see music-related columns, like Bit Rate and Duration, see.) Explorer can supposedly do this, but it doesn't work right and that annoys the crud out of me. It's why I sought out other FMs. From what I understand, we will have to pay to save folder settings in xplorer². :?

Thanks much!
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Yes, J44xm, I agree that winExplorer doesn't work right.
Also recognize that 2xExplorer is limited to just 3 details [name|size|modified] & that its development has been ended.

The author (nikos) is perfecting xplorer² which not only works in ways that winExplorer should have, but has great expanded features (with setting customizable by folder) in a promised soon-to-be-released beta version. Exactly how many of the features will be in a free version, and which features will be for fair-pay seems yet-to-be-determined --- but I am certain that both will be good, and I doubt we will be disappointed. :D

In the meanwhile, it's patience, patience ... :wink:
J44xm

Post by J44xm »

Thanks much, fgagnon. All I hope is that saving folder settings will be allowed in the free version. It'd be odd to pay for what I get for free (more or less) in Explorer.
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

As the map for navigating the file system --
-- even tho it is bundled with the m$ OS for "no extra cost" --
you paid for it when you bought license for the OS.

What is its value as a pct of the OS functionality?

I guess that depends on what you use your 'puter for, and how important it is to maintain its file system.

For myself, I put the file mgr value at 20-30% of the OS cost.
(your mileage may differ)

The pity is that the Explorer delivered with m$'s latest OS (XP) doesn't work very well at all -- especially for file searches.

Enter xplorer² :tada: ...
to both restore & add functionality to the OS
(& value worth paying a bit extra for :beer: ).

And, personally, I am always glad to pay a fair amount for added value. (everybody benefits) :D
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

It'd be odd to pay for what I get for free (more or less) in Explorer...
...Explorer can supposedly do this, but it doesn't work right and that annoys the crud out of me
as you've discovered yourself, you always get what you've paid for!

x2 has taken me 2 years to develop and a lot of work. It is only divine justice charging a little for it :)
J44xm

Post by J44xm »

Oh no, don't get me wrong -- I'm not against your charging for x2. After all your hard work -- thanks, by the way! -- there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying that I wish custom folder settings will be available in the free version. But in the end, it's column selection that I'm really concerned about. Thanks.