Command line switches

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

gabek

Command line switches

Post by gabek »

Greetings -

I realize the folder to which 2explorer opens is sticky, returning to the last selected folder. I am looking for a command line switch that will allow me to specify the same drive and folder each time. I found a topic in the help file that describes command line arguments, but the switch does not work for me for this purpose.

In MS Explorer, I can default to selecting partition E: using the following command line and switch:

C:\WINNT\explorer.exe /e, e:\

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

gabe
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I'm sure this was already discussed, but guessing the right search words isn't always easy.

Try the following:
1. Set up your 2x "view" to the way you want it to start.
2. Make sure the box is checked for
View | Options... | Save program state on exit
3. Exit 2x, wait a few secs for cache to clear, & restart 2x
4. Go back and uncheck the option in 2. above.

That should do it. (& you can start the two panes in different drives\folders, too) :)

PS: - You can use command line arguments to override the startup 'locations'. From Help | Features, scroll down to Command Line Arguments for details. (or open the file: 2xExplorer.rtf ) :D
gabek

Post by gabek »

Thanks for your prompt and informative reply.

I have no problem getting the program to reopen to the last selected folder, which works just fine, but the command line switch method has not worked for me. I found that same info in the help file and was unable to get proper syntax. I couldn't get past the error message when trying to save my switch data.

gabe
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

in 2x to start with E you'll have to use a command like:
2x.exe e:\
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

Gabe,

@... error message when trying to save my switch data. -
I'm guessing that you have 2xExplorer in a path which has a space in at least one foldername and that you were trying to put your switch inside the quotes (which are necessary to prevent the space character from being interpreted as a delimiter)

If I'm right, then the syntax you seek is:
"C:\Program Files\2xExplorer\2xExplorer.exe" g:\gfolder e:\efolder

furthermore, if either gfolder or efolder path+name has spaces in it then you must put it in quotes.

Alternatively, you can eliminate the quotes if you use the "8.3-style" name to avoid the spaces in any particular foldername.
e,g,: Program Files is usually PROGRA~1