two feature requests

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

chodm

Post by chodm »

I have been using 2Xexplorer for some time.

There are two features I would find useful:

1. Two applications I use mount container files as drives. I would find it useful if the drivebar would exhibit these drives as they are created (most useful) and delete them as they are dismounted. Alternatively, a command/icon to refresh the drive bar (like the file-refresh icon) wiould be an acceptable solution.

Currently, I seem to have to exit and restart 2Xexplorer in order to keep the drivebar current.

2. An extensible tools menu/toolbar, where I could place my own choice of frequently used used utilities, would be convenient. This feature is available in PowerDesk, which I have virtually stopped using since discovering 2Xexplorer.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

drivebar looks like a throwback from the past millenium, doesn't it? (well actually it was made in the last millenium :) )

no solution there i'm afraid, you'd have to quit/restart as you mentioned, until I come up with a more intelligent design. Note that the tree on the other hand does detect the addition of drives etc, albeit requiring you do collapse and re-expand it most of the time. But at least you don't have to quit 2x

extensible tools menu/toolbar, where I could place my own choice of frequently used used utilities

well that would be jolly nice too, if only mikro$oft would provide the API for it! As things are I would have to develop such functionality from scratch, and believe me it is far from trivial. It will arrive sometime, but for the moment I've got my hands full with more important issues. I always use taskbar's Quick Launch toolbar for my favorite apps, which is very convenient
chodm

Post by chodm »

A further request: true pane independence. When displaying two panes, and changeing the view in one of them, 2XExplorer "rolls back" the other pane to its top, regardless of where the focus was in that pane. This is sometimes annoying.

I note that OnTrack's PowerDesk provides both features in my original request and this one as well.

All in all, I still prefer 2XExplorer, but would like to see it better yet.
chodm
Bastage

Post by Bastage »

A further request: true pane independence. When displaying two panes, and changeing the view in one of them, 2XExplorer "rolls back" the other pane to its top, regardless of where the focus was in that pane. This is sometimes annoying.

A workaround I use is just to click on a file/folder after scrolling. Then when you switch focus to the other pane the original will stay put.
chodm

Post by chodm »

Selecting a file in the "other" pane seems to work, but is counterintuitive in that I find it awkward to have to act on the pane whose view I don't want to alter. Still, thanks for the suggestion; I can now hold one pane fixed and work in the other.

Now, about the refreshable drive bar... (I'll concede the built-in user modifiable toolbar).
chodm
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the "feature" of scrolling the pane away from where you want it is documented in FAQ# 22. 2x is trying to keep the focused item in view. I grant you that it is a bit counter-intuitive, so I'll remove it in the future

refreshable drivebar is not possible as things are now. The tree on the other hand will detect new mapped drives if you collapse/re-expand "My (your) Computer" branch