XP Bug: Format Floppy

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Post by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom »

Well, this may or may not be a bug (it could be my system), however when I use 2xExplorer 1.3.1.12, and I right click on the floppy drive to format a floppy (quick erase or full), I get an error message.
Sal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Sal »

I format a floppy on a Win ME system and it worked.  If that helps any.   :shrug:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

formatting in general can get screwy if there are folders open on a floppy, both in 2x and in other programs. So make sure you're not browsing any floppy contents in any pane, and also make sure the tree on the left is collapsed (any parts of it that may involve "A:\")

You'll find a more detailed explanation in FAQ# 4
Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Sal wrote:I format a floppy on a Win ME system and it worked. If that helps any. :shrug:
I'm using Windows XP Home edition. Prior to that, I had no problems with 2xExplorer on my old Win98SE computer when using the format tool.
Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

nikos wrote:formatting in general can get screwy if there are folders open on a floppy, both in 2x and in other programs. So make sure you're not browsing any floppy contents in any pane, and also make sure the tree on the left is collapsed (any parts of it that may involve "A:\")

You'll find a more detailed explanation in FAQ# 4
Well, I followed your advice, and with no focus on the floppy in either pane, I right clicked on the floppy in the directory tree, selected format, and presto!, it worked.  :)
The previous times I tried it and it didn't work I had My Computer in focus in one of the panes, and I right clicked on the floppy in the pane, and selected format. Mind you, the floppy wasn'y open in the other pane, nor were there any folders on the floppy in focus either, I had it viewing c: drive.
Anyhow, at least I now have one way of using the format tool.  :thumbup:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

a common trap is if you get into "my computer" by backspacing from "A:\". Then you may think that you've released the floppy, but in fact 2x is still having its active directory (remember the cd command?) on A, since MyComputer is a virtual drive