Illegal Operations... - ...under bizarre system configurations

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Spectre

Post by Spectre »

This is mainly for info, as Nikos requested dealing with support issues here so that others may benefit.

I'm running win98se.  I used IEremover to get rid of Internet Explorer and 98lite to go back to the 95 style of interface; then I switched to using an alternate shell called Litestep.

This setup seemed to be working fine until the other night, when I started getting "Illegal Operation" errors when doing file operations (move/copy/rename) in 2xExplorer.  Even updating to the newest version 1.3.1.12 didn't help.  And, although I thought it was just a 2xExplorer problem, I started getting the same errors with Windows Explorer, so this suggested that it was a system issue.

I'm happy to report that I seem to have fixed the problem by re-running 98lite and going back to the win98 style of interface, but leaving Internet Explorer integration disabled (the "Chubby" #2 option, if you're familiar with 98lite).  Although it won't run quite as zippy as with the 95 interface, at least it appears to be stable now.

Again, this is just for information to maybe help others, but if anyone has more light to shed on these issues, feel free to chime in.

Tom
Manitoba's Wild Kingdom

Post by Manitoba's Wild Kingdom »

You know, I used to be into the same sort of thing; chopping up Windows98 with programs such as Revenge of Mozilla, 98lite etc., and then one day not so long ago I decided I'd had enough of that crap, and I bought myself a brand new high spec. PC, with Windows XP loaded, and I haven't looked back since.  :)
But still I admire the way people bastardise Windows98 in order to get it to work on old PCs, it just means that other programs will not work the way they should, and this situation will definately not change as time goes on.