about ThumbBar

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

Hihi, can you make ThumbBar as convenient as txt viewer?
that is, press a shortcut key then open, press Esc then close.
And can you make it has choice like view as original size, fit to windows; when press space bar/pgdn next pic, pgup previous pic, etc? that is, add some basic functions to make it as an internal pic viewer, like your super fast txt viewer. After tasting your unbelivably super-high-open-speed txt viewer, I find using external viewer is really very slow. ^_^
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the text viewer behaves differently since you open a new window each time

the thumbnail viewer is always there

since it never has the focus, the arrow keys work fine; you just move the focus around in the active pane to see the next/previous preview etc
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

Nikos, I discussed possible modifications of the thumbviewer with you already, too.

But this post (apart from agreeing with h9903209 suggestions for enhancement) got me trying something and finding out, that it's almost there already.

You can modify the size of the thumbnail-window and have it floating (even memorizes the size) so it already displays images in a bigger format as an image viewer in a viewable way.

If there would indeed be a keyboard shortcut for the thumbnail window and the ESC function (like in viewer/editor) you already have a quick-and-dirty image viewer built in. I didn't realize before.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

this is quite untypical for a guy with your vivid imagination and ingenuity !

surely there's no shortcut for the thumbnail per se, but what about layouts? have layout #7 (the first) as your normal view and #8 for one where the thumbnail is on placed and sized to taste. And there you have it nirvana is just 2 keypresses away!
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

hoho, using layout can solve this problem. However, unluckily I have already use up all of them for its original layout purpose. T__T
If possible, hope you can consider adding a normal shortcut for thumbnail and Esc for leaving, seems better.

Also, for the size problem, the point is not resizing the thumbnail window to fit our own taste, but that if the image is not shown as its original size, the image would be distorted/blurred, some pictures would appear very ugly and vague, reducing its usability as pic viewer. Of course windows itself provide picture viewer, but you know, about the speed of opening... just like I never use notepad anymore after experincing your brilliant internal txt viewer/editor. ^_^
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

ok since i have a soft spot for keyboard-oriented people, i'll add a shortcut like Alt+P for turning the thumbnail on/off. How's that for a compromise?
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

thx thx ^_^ you're so nice ^^

how about the image size problem? is that possible to show its original size? because otherwise some images would be viewed very ugly.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

here's what you can do. Any automatic resizing from 2x should mean enlarging the thumb window and creating all sorts of problems

why don't you save a layout (you must sacrifice one of your slots ;) ) having the thumbnail floating and resize it to cover nearly the whole screen except for a tiny bit on the right or bottom which you're going to reserve for the right/bottom view pane watching the filenames you want previewed

when the preview window is larger than the picture then it displays it in its original size without distortion

... ergo i don't need to do anything more than the shortcut
h9903209

Post by h9903209 »

ar, thx ^_^
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

I, as one of the keyboard-oriented people, I'm very pleased with the shortcut.

Does my vivid imagination match the reality if I hope this works directly from the search result window (like it does for the text viewer and editor)?

This would be a major benefit (and the main reason of my asking) since before you always had to set the focus from the search pane to the main pane to start some image browsing soft for a quick view.

BRX
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

the thumbnail is linked to the active view in a direct way (you don't have to press anything to preview the focused item, no?). It's just not possible to have this working with the find results window

but you gave me a good idea (as usual) for the future development of the celebrated scrap frame in xplorer2.