Folders & files intermingled in lists - Why must they be separated?

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Ardee

Post by Ardee »

One thing I've always hated about Windows is that you cannot work with list-views that have folders and files intermingled in Windows Explorer.  It always puts the folders in one group and the files in another.  I want them sorted TOGETHER alphabetically.

1) Is there a way to make that happen without using 2xExplorer?

2) Is there a way to do that using 2xExplorer?

Thanks!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

2x offers an unsorted option in the "sort by" menu, where you'll see items as they appear in your hard disc. However then you lose sorting altogether, i.e. no more alphabetical by name...
Ardee

Post by Ardee »

Would you consider adding a feature that permits the user to NOT separate the folders from the files, even when sorting by name or date? That would be INCREDIBLY useful!

[Some items may be compressed (e.g., .RARs or .ZIPs) or otherwise kept as individual items (e.g., text files or .PDFs or .EXEs). Other items in the same parent folder may be subfolders (which COULD be compressed to a single file, but aren't at the moment). One should NOT have to look in two separate places in the list, depending on which form the item of interest happens to be in at any given time. The Macintosh has always intermingled files and folder in sorted lists, unless you choose to sort by type. Once you've gotten used to that method, you realize it's a better way to go!]

Thank you!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i suppose i could add this in my requested features list for some future release
djp9

Post by djp9 »

Hi All,

What I would like to see in a similar vein is an option to hide/unhide subdirectories.

Often when I working in a particular folder the sub-directories just plain get in the way.

Also while I'm here & there may be an option to do this ?
Some file managers have a key ( e.g. INSert ) that tags a file then moves down to the next file.  It is great for highlighting specific files that are not in any particular order.  I know you can Control + mouse click, but if you have a lot to do, one slip and you've lost the lot !

Regards, Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you can't hide the directories, but i've added this feature in my list of things to do

the INSert key does work in 2x too (see keyboard.txt) but you still have to be careful to press Ctrl when you press arrow keys. The save selection command [Ctrl+F11] is also useful as a protection measure against destroying your selection
djp9

Post by djp9 »

Hi Nikos,

Thanks for the feedback.

Are the various help facilities on the 'Help' menu the extent of the help ?

It would be nice to see all the help in one downloadable file - maybe .pdf or .doc

Thanks again - Dave
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

all the "help" files are included in the distribution

as a developer i consider writing proper help files as boring as watching paint dry. I understand that it is useful but i can't get my head round to it. Anyway, 2x nowadays does so many things and has such a rich set of features that an all-encompassing help file would be greater in size than the application itself

on the other hand, we are all waiting for the saint who will compile this help file for the benefit of all the 2xCommunity. He would certainly have his name engraved in the 2xList of fame -- our saviour! . Any takers? :cool: