zip and 2xExp - use of zip files

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

odp

Post by odp »

I'm a new 2xEx user and I just had an e-mail trade with Nikos - I asked about how to get zip folders to show their contents transparently with Win98.  His reply suggested as a work-a-round to get Zipmagic lite free version.  I have checked OnTrack's web site, and google - and have been unable to find the lite version.  I would appreciate if if someone could point to a web source.  Thank you.

Debbie
BRX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BRX »

This comes from something I mentioned I fear. I was citing from memory, so sorry for being not completely correct.

About a year ago some PC magazines offered a full version of ZipMagic98 (the one before the current) on their accompanying CDs, sort of "free" since there was only a registering through the web necessary.

And I think you could download that version then as well, but I might be wrong. I can't find anything at Ontrack's now, indeed. Anyway that's what I was referring with the "free lite version". Maybe you can find it on some old magazine cds if you understandably don't want to go for the current commercial version?

Sorry for my misleading post.

BRX
odp

Post by odp »

Hi - thanks for the headsup on zipmagic98 - I will look for it.  I was wondering (w9thout ruffling any feathers I hope) - how Powerdesk incorporates transparency in win98.  Do they use their commercial clout to license zipmagic or such, and then incoporate it into the free version?  

Thanks
Sam

Post by Sam »

Instead of ZipMagic it is possible to use free ArjFolder - [url=http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html.

Sincerely,]http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html.

Sincerely,[/url] Sam.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

That's a good one that i didn't know
(BTW, the url has an extra '.' in the end)

Unfortunately on my NT4 at least, it opens the contents of zips etc in what it is known as <i>rooted namespace extension</i>, which for you and me means that a new explorer window pops up with the zip contents. I have seen similar things in the past, e.g. the cabview demo project. These rooted things cannot be integrated with 2x, hence they are not useful really --- well at least not much more useful than a separate winRar or winZip installed on your system

on the positive side, ArjFolder seems free, and who knows, perhaps they'll update their code to conform to the new shell v5.0 stuff, which means that all its supported archive types will be "trully" folders and 2x could sneak into them. This would be a significant advantage even in winXP, because the built-in zipFolder functionality there is limited just to ZIP files, no RAR, ARJ etc