Problem: bookmarks for local network

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

MSv

Problem: bookmarks for local network

Post by MSv »

I want to create a bookmark to examine a folder in other computer (in local network). But folder impossible to open, because it is necessary to indicate a password for entering to the local network. How I set a password for local network to path (to «Bookmarks - Organize - properties - Description»)? It is big worries for me. Thank you.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

folder passwords cannot be stored as part of the path
the first time you access it you'll have to "login"
MSv

MSv

Post by MSv »

So, I have the password and login too. May I store it to the path? There is example for FTP: login:password@ftp.adress. May I use this pattern for the achievement of folders in local network? For instance: login:password@\\Comp\c:\windows\desktop.

This problem was not, if when striking to the bookmark darted out a dialogue window for the seting login and password. But window does't dart out. Got that bookmark does not act for the opening of folders in local network. Sorry...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't think you'll be able to store the password like the ftp example, but try the file://pathetc to see how it goes (unlikely)

from what i can understand you are not prompted to login when you try to access this network folder but it just fails? What if you try to access this folder typing its path or from the tree or with regular mouse browsing (d-click from its parent)
MSv

MSv

Post by MSv »

I tried, but it is not got beside me, regrettably.

I may access network folders from the tree, but participants of our local network want to open files in network by means of bookmarks. This spares a time. They want to put bookmarks on their favorite folders in the network. This will be a progress in the organizations of work, they think. Is this possible?
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i don't believe you'll find a file manager that allows bookmark+password combination. Anyway, this is more of a security/permission issue. If you want free access just make sure you set the share permissions without a password, at least for a certain group of users in your network
dragon_788

Post by dragon_788 »

Mapped drives sounds like what they are looking for. Bookmarks and passwords is trying to oversimplify I think.