I hosed File Folders - File Folder object does search not open

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Eyke

Post by Eyke »

I used Nikos' suggestion to change the default action of File Folder and Folder to open with 2xExplorer. Now when I launch a folder, Win2K launches a search not 2x! :0

Win2K does not allow me to remove or edit the default action. AAMOF, open with Explorer is not available. I ran thru the registry and couldn't fix it there, either.

Anyone know a way out of this mess?

TIA,
Eyke
--
Eyke
So long and thanks for all the fish--Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

something must have gone seriously wrong there...

(BTW i am not advocating replacing explorer with 2x as the default file manager; faq # 15 recommends installing an additional verb for 2x)

anyway, let's see if we can get you out of this tight spot. The following snapshot is from my NT4 registry settings for Folder (its default open verb). Try editing your folder options to look like that and fingers crossed it should work for win2000 too...

Eyke

Post by Eyke »

Nikos:

Attached are the screen shots of the Edit Files Type dialog box. I added a new verb called "open with 2xexplorer" and made that the default. Now Win2K will not allow me to change, notice the greyed out edit and remove.

Cheers!
--
Eyke
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

for the first one (Folder), just make the open verb default -- it seems that the dialog doesn't allow to delete the default verb.

the second one looks tricky and you'd better do it with regedit. I mean you could get 2x out of the way as above, but you'd be stuck with other silly verbs as default -- you want a double-click to open not find or anything!

so find & click on the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

on the right pane of regedit you'll see a single value called (Default); double-click on that and delete the contents (that 2xExplorer key name). After that order should be restored!

PS. Still I can't figure out how you ended up in trouble. I just tried setting 2x as the default manager for file folders (under w2000) and had no problems! You must have made some sort of typing error in the command...

Edited By nikos on April 06 2002 at 10:33
Eyke

Post by Eyke »

Nikos:

Thank you very much for your assistance. No, I don't know what I did, maybe a typo. I thought I did what you had suggested with the new verb and all that, but, alas, we all know Micro$oft.

Maybe it was because I was in my domain account, which as admin rights. Anyway, all seems well now.

Cheers!
--
Eyke
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

Eyke and Niko,
Had a similar problem. M.S explorer and 2x Explorer suddenly insisted on opening a 'FIND' dialog box when double-clicking a folder in any of the right-hand panes.
I have no explanation for this; I had not even made 2xExplorer the default explorer.
Killing the FIND entry in the 'Edit File Type' dialog box had the consequence that now a double click opened the black DOS window (corresponding to the next "verb" in the list)
I found a relatively easy fix though:
1) Copy the "Verbs" and their associated applications from the 'File Folder' dialog box to the 'Folder' dialog box and select the desired default (e.g. Explore)
2) Delete all the entries (Verbs) from the 'File Folder' dialog box

You will probably find that the EDIT and DELETE buttons are disabled. To enable all buttons proceed like this:
Run regedit.exe
Search for the key 'DIRECTORY'
In the right pane double-click on 'EditFlags'
Change the value to 2
Do the same with the EditFlags of the key 'FOLDER'
That's all. :)
This works just as well with any other file type!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that's weird!  ???

do you have a clue how it started? Did you install anything perhaps?
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

Very sorry, I havn't got a clue.
I tried to investigate that tricky deleting behaviour of 2x Explorer. I had also installed some utilities. But unfortunately I do not know exactly what action  caused the problem.
I have never encountered this kind of trouble before.
But Eyke reported the same bug(?). Coincidence?
Could it be that 2xExpl. s..ks? (sometimes at least?) :)
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

well, with just 2 reported instances of this weird behaviour in several hundred thousand (if not million) users, I wouldn't haste to register this as 2x's fault just yet  ;)
_rainer_

Post by _rainer_ »

zillions?