zip files - XP dispaying zip files/folders

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Darren

Post by Darren »

I just installed a third party zip program (Enzip) and associated zip files with this program. My main reason for associating zip files with Enzip was to see the size of the zip file in Explorer. (XP just displays them as a folder by default, but I'd rather see the file attributes)
This works fine in Win Exp, but 2xExp still just displays them as a folder. Double clicking on these files in Win Exp opens up the zip files with Enzip, whereas double clicking in 2xExp cuases 2xExp to navigate into the zip file as it did previously. The right click options for zip files work the same in both programs.
There is also a similar problem with the icons 2xExp displays. Win Exp displays zip files with the Enzip icon, but 2xExp still uses the original XP icon.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Darren
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

it looks like down deep your XP still considers zips as folders, that's why 2x steps into them

i believe that once you unregister the dll that is responsible for zipfolders as explained in FAQ # 25, you'll be fine. You'll have to execute:

regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

If that comes up with a happy unregistration message you should be ok -- else make sure you don't have any zipfolders open.

There's going to be another release of 2x shortly which although treating zips as folders it will still show their byte size. That should bring the best of both worlds