File is invisible

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

mikeypo

File is invisible

Post by mikeypo »

When I created a file called "155.053.001.mus.tif" in a WinXp directory, I couldn't see it in Xplorer. It showed up OK in Windows Explorer. The file attribute is 'A' (not hidden, system etc). Something strange about the name. File "155.053.001.mus.jpg" shows up OK.
Mike
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fgagnon »

I'm not sure what you mean by "couldn't see it"
Does ...  
a.  the file name not show at all in the 2x folder list?
or ...
b. does the 2xExplorer Preview pane show blank ?

If the case is "a.", unless the issue is the pane not refreshing (use Ctrl+R to force a refresh), then I cannot reproduce that.  :shrug:

If "b." then it is probably a case of file size being bigger than a certain size limit (1MB is the default), at which point the preview shuts down by default.
(and when you save the file as .jpg the resulting file is probably less than 1MB, so it will be shown in the preview pane.)

Windows Explorer has no preview pane as such, so I guess you were looking at the "thumbnail" style view there -- a view style not supported by 2xExplorer.  

To get around both the fixed 1MB preview size limit and the lack of thumbnail view, I recommend that you try xplorer2 -- the successor to 2xExplorer.  It's a lot more powerful, has user-settable size limits for preview pane (or no limit) and includes a thumbnail style for viewing folders.  Visit http://zabkat.com/ to learn more.

(or ... if you just want to increase the previewable file size, and you are familiar with editing the registry, use regedit to increase the value of the variable nMaxFileSizeThumb under the key
HKCU\Software\ZabaraKatranemia Plc\2xExplorer\MainFrame Settings

PS - and then there's case "c."
Possibly you ARE using xplorer² and simply posted in the 2xExplorer forum, not realizing there's a difference. ;)
If that is the case, and it's just that large files in question don't display in the Preview pane, go to menu item Tools | Options... | General and set the Byte file size limit ... for extracting Thumbnails to a larger value (or 0 for no limit).  
HTH  
mikeypo

Post by mikeypo »

I'm sorry-- I am using Explorer2 and posted in the wrong forum. But the files (actually the .tif and the .jpg both) don't show up in the file list at all. They're both less than 200K. I'm not using the preview window.
Mike
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

make sure you don't have a visual filter on
check for a green filter icon on your statusbar
vserghi
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vserghi »

You never know, but have these files got the hidden attribute set?
Vas
fgagnon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: File is invisible

Post by fgagnon »

This is mysterious .. let's go back to the beginning where
mikeypo wrote:When I created a file called "155.053.001.mus.tif" in a WinXp directory, I couldn't see it in Xplorer. It showed up OK in Windows Explorer. The file attribute is 'A' (not hidden, system etc). Something strange about the name. File "155.053.001.mus.jpg" shows up OK.
and establish some basic information ...
1. What version of WinXP are you running ?
2. What version of xplorer2 are you using ? -- as reported on  
Help | About xplorer²... ?
3. How (with what application or from what source) did you create the files in question ?
4. Are the files being stored in a "special" folder (inside a zip-file, in a network location ... )
5. If you simply change the name to something conventional like file001.jpg or file002.tif does it become visible in xplorer2 ?
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

seeing is beleiving

Post by zippit »

What do you mean by,
When I created a file called "155.053.001.mus.tif
Where did you create it ?Do you mean the picture or the file name.Where are you trying to view it,or just read the name(s)
You can't just rename a tif to jpg.
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.