"Merge" requests - Filename box size, separator

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Nikos:

I really like the split/merge capability built in to 2x Z1--particularly the merge function and the fact that it works on text files (i.e., it doesn't just recombine split files). I have two requests:

1. When merging files, a box comes up into which you type the name of the concatenated file. It is a very small box--a wider one would be great.

2. It would be nice to be able to put some kind of separator between the text of the files in the concatenated file.

A final question: do you know of any limit on the number of files (or the size of files) that can be merged? Suppose I wanted to concatenate a directory of several hundred text files, totaling a few megabytes--could 2x Z1 handle it? ;)

Many thanks,
Brig
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

>put some kind of separator between the text of the files in the concatenated file

the idea of merging is to recreate a file that was split earlier. Of course it can be used to merge any files but i can't think of any easy way to add separators inbetween

you could cheat using the batch file generator and some editing. A template like $N+separator.txt+ for all your files (assuming that you have created a separator.txt which should go in the middle) would give you the bulk of the body for a copy command of the form

copy a+b+c target

you'd have to merge all lines of the "batch" file into one and mind not to exceed the 128-byte limit of dos command lines. All in all not a brilliant proposition but it could be worked out

>limit on the number of files (or the size of files) that can be merged?

in tests the largest file i tried was a 16MB mini-monster so it should be ok. The design is such that the bottleneck is your hard disk space and your time!
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

Nikos:

Thanks. Someday I'll figure out the batch file business . . . a separator in meged files isn't important enough to make me do it now, though.

And, a wider filename box. . . ?

Best,
Brig
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

you must be a perfectionist then :)

too bad the case is closed for 2x but i'll oblige in x2!
Brig
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Brig »

> you must be a perfectionist then :)

A little bit anal, I suppose. But I'm no programmer ;)

It was a decidedly minor request. Like everybody else, I'm looking forward to x2.