Korean file name display problem - Korean file name display problem

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

dnldr

Post by dnldr »

Almost a perfect program except that files encoded in Korean come up as question marks ... ie. ???.mp3

I don't need Korean menus but would just like the file names to display properly ...

Hopefully in the next release ...
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i take it you mean filenames etc in the left/right panes come out wrong (?)

i wouldn't know for sure but 2x uses whatever fonts your desktop (explorer) uses, so it shouldn't have problems. I have seen some program <a href="http://www.ps.ic.ac.uk/~umeca74/weird.gif">snapshots</a> with eastern fonts, so i'm sure it works ok for some people (although i can't figure it out myself :) )

(Edited by nikos at 12:40 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)
dnldr

Post by dnldr »

Interesting ... file names show up properly in Windows explorer and media player though ....

i tried changing the desktop fonts to a compatible font bu that didn't work ...

maybe it needs access to a resource file or something??

thanks for the quick reply!
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

unfortunately i can't offer any more help on this one...
perhaps some other user from the far east could shed some light on this one?
dnldr

Post by dnldr »

I got it .... finally!

It's a two step thing. First I think this will only work with Xp as you need to be able to use two languages at once.

First enable all unicode programs to use Korean instead of the default (usually English-US for most of you I guess)

Secondly (the step I didn't know) you need to change in your icon font to a compatible font that will read unicode filenames ie. gulimche/microsoft sans serif not Tahoma/Arial etc ...

This will enable the font in the explorer window and after a reboot I had Korean fonts mixed with English!

Problem solved!

Maybe if there was a font option then this would have been accomplished much more easily?? Is it possible??

Now it is a perfect file manager!!