2xExplorer always crash on W2K

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam »

Hi Everyone,

Did you experience crash when working with directories?

I keep crashing in this version 1.3.1.8, no idea why it crash because I'm just navigate the directories.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

have you noticed any pattern in the crashes? (e.g. browsing some particular directory or some folder with a particular kind of files)

is there any course of actions that is guaranteed to reproduce the crashes?
rgd

Post by rgd »

I've been getting exactly the same behavior. See my separate post on 2xExplorer help. Be good if we (Nik!) could figure this out. :confused:
johnsonlam

Post by johnsonlam »

I figure out 1 of the reason (maybe). When my CD-ROM have some unreadable disk (blank CDR or CDRW), sometimes will crash 2xExplorer.

But there must be something lead to crash, because last version didn't crash at all.

Thanks everyone!
marcsandusky

Post by marcsandusky »

I have the same problem.  It always seems to be when changing directories.  A little debugging with visual studio always shows a NULL pointer reference.

It only started occuring when the XP support was added.  Using it on XP show no trouble at all.  I thing a decision is being made somewhere based on current OS, an a pointer or a handle is not getting initialized if it is not XP.

BTW, I for one appreciate the zip folder support additions.  I find this feature extremely useful, not having to jump back and forth between explorer and a zipp app.

Marc
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

> It always seems to be when changing directories

does it happen every time you CD or sometimes? Which times are those then?

Since you are familiar with the developer studio, try downloading the debug version and send me the stack frame info @ the crash time. There may be various ASSERT dialogs before too, so let me know about them as well

TIA
Nikos
marcsandusky

Post by marcsandusky »

Ok, first I have to retract an earlier statement. 2xExplorer seems to crash more under XP now as well, I just had to try it out more. I use it on both XP at home and W2K at work.

Thanks for pointing me to the debug version. I finally got an assert dialog today. the message points to line # 939 of the file C:\WINNT\Profiles\umeca74\Personal\cartman\Shell33.cpp.

I hope that this is helpful. This is really one of my favorite apps, and it is great that the zip folder support was added (I personally use it quite often).

I will continue to watch for asserts. I have done a litlle bit of debugging, but without source code, I spend a few minutes stepping through assembly code, and end up in the middle of the MFC source code without any idea of how I got there. What I can tell you is that it appears to happen at the start of a defined procedure, with the first statement being the dereferencing of a pointer. The pointer retrieved from the dereference operation is NULL. It bails out imediately after that when it tries to access the data through the NULL pointer. That seems to be the pattern so far.

Marc