Newbie needs basic help ... - How to print list of files in a folder

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

PC.Chip

Post by PC.Chip »

Thanks to Nikos for the program .... I installed it as I needed an easy way to compare the contents of different folders side-by-side (which I've sussed how to do), but I also need to print a list of the file names contained in a folder, which I understand you can do with 2xExplorer - this is where I need assistance from someone to explain how to achieve this function .... please ......

Any help is appreciated ....

PC
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

See Mark | Print selection menu
if you want to "print" all the files just select them all first with [Ctrl+A]

I say "print" instead of print since the command does not actually print anything, it just generates a formatted text output that is printer ready & loaded in the editor
PC.Chip

Post by PC.Chip »

Hi Nikos ….

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of "Mark | Print Selection". But, sorry, just suggesting that I “select all the files first" and that (2xExplorer) "does not actually print anything, it just generates a formatted text output that is printer ready & loaded in the editor” was not a very helpful response to a newbie like myself in resolving my original question. In the end, it doesn’t really matter how 2xExplorer does it, the fact is 2xExplorer does enable you to print a list of file names contained within a folder …. and this is how I’ve now found it can be done (correct me if I'm wrong) .....

1) In the left-hand pane of 2xExplorer click on (to select/highlight) the folder which contains the list of file names you wish to print (the file names will appear in the ‘active’ pane).

2) To select (highlight) the list of file names to print (listed in the ‘active’ panel) either, click in the 'active' panel and press ‘Ctrl+A’, or, on the Menu bar at the top of the 2xExplorer Window, click on, ‘Mark’ | ‘Select All’.

3) Then, on the Menu bar, click ‘Mark’ | ‘Print Selection’. This will copy the list of file names to the 2xExplorer internal editor which will open in a new Window where you will be able to modify or enhance the list using the editor’s tools.

4) To actually print the list, either click on the Printer Icon on the tool bar, or, click ‘File’ | ‘Print..’ on the menu bar.

There could be a couple of keyboard shortcuts that will achieve the same things as in steps 3 and 4, but I hope this is of some assistance to other newbies (and not so newbies)!

… Now if only 2xExplorer could print a list of the filenames in the subfolders as well ….. mmmmmm …. there may be a way .... Oh, well, in the meantime I guess it’s back to ‘PrintFolders v1.2’ a neat little program from … (no, not related …)

http://pivovaroff.0catch.com/products/printfolders.htm

:beer:
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i just didn't want to rob you off the discovery experience ;)
PC.Chip

Post by PC.Chip »

Hi Nikos ....

I just knew that you're really a sweet guy underneath .....
:rolleyes:

... and speaking of the "discovery experience" Ive discovered another very good (but larger) directory printer which I'm trying ......

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

:wave: