10 ideas for 2xExplorer

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

EsKiMo

Post by EsKiMo »

I've been trying very hard to wean myself from using Windows Explorer, and instead using 2xExplorer. Over the past 2-3 weeks I've thought of many things that would make my life with 2xExplorer better. I've been adding them to a text file, and decided to post when I got to 10 ideas. So, here goes:

1) Expand the functionality of the Folder Data tool. Specifically, add support to delete a given folder. There is a program out there called TreeSize that does something similar to this feature in 2xExplorer, but it's not free (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize.html).

2) Add a button for 'My Computer' on the DriveBar (or somewhere else for easy access). At the moment, the quickest way to get to My Computer from 2xExplorer is to click on one of the drives in the DriveBar, then go up a level. A more direct method would be better/faster.

3) When a drive icon is clicked (when viewing My Computer), give drive info on the status bar (like Capacity, Free Space, Label, etc)

4) When using Details as the Pane Style, more control is needed as to which details specifically are shown. For example, I don't care about the Modified column, but I do care about the Size column. Presently, all I can do is resize the columns so that I can't see the Modified column, but this gets reset when 2xExplorer is restart.

5) In the options, you can select what Editor/Viewer to use for text files. However, many of the features in 2xExplorer don't honor this option. Instead, it uses the internal viewer. The external editor should always be used (if one is selected).

6) When creating a new file or folder from within 2xExplorer, don't do the re-sorting until after it has been given a name. Currently it sorts immediately (using 'New Folder' or 'New Text Document'), which is a bit annoying.

7) The Bookmarks menu is extremely useful, but it needs to be more expandable. Six bookmarks simply isn't enough. It should behave more like the Windows Favorites menu.

8) 2xExplorer hangs when viewing a CD-ROM and the disc is removed from the drive. When attempting to close 2xExplorer from the Task Manager, Windows reports that it cannot terminate the process because its being debugged. After 5 minutes of trying to get the process to terminate, I finally had to reboot my computer.

9) Hidden file icons are supposed to be faded. 2xExplorer doesn't seem to fade the icons properly, because there is little (if any) difference between hidden and non-hidden icons.

10) It would be nice if we had more flexibility on the positioning of the two panes. For example, moving them such that they are on top of each other. The two panes should possibly be 'detached' from the application and allowed to be resized, closed, or any other normal window operation. I'm thinking something like the mIRC windowing system.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

with a little imagination you'll see that most of your requests are already here

Expand the functionality of the Folder Data tool. Specifically, add support to delete a given folder

if you double-click a folder in the folder data window, it will be loaded in the active pane. From there you can delete it

all I can do is resize the columns so that I can't see the Modified column, but this gets reset when 2xExplorer is restart

you can save a layout (see View | Layouts menu) in detailed view mode, after resizing the columns as you like. Then by hitting just one key (e.g. [Ctrl+7]) will reactivate it at any time even in subsequent runs

Instead, it uses the internal viewer

this is a desing decision. However, if you press [Ctrl+F3] then the external viewer will be used instead -- exactly the opposite holds for the editor F4

The Bookmarks menu is extremely useful, but it needs to be more expandable

i have talked many times about that; see FAQ# 20 for a way for practically unlimited bookmarks

moving them such that they are on top of each other

that's already possible, checkout the Snapshots page in the website. To get this arrangement, see registry.txt and the bUpDownPanes value

I hope that crash on the CDROM to be a freak occasion, since i've never witnessed a similar thing.

Do we have a satisfied customer now or what?  ;)
EsKiMo

Post by EsKiMo »

Thanks for the quick reply Nikos,

>if you double-click a folder in the folder data window, it will be loaded in the active pane. From there you can delete it

I am aware of doing it this way, but I still think it would be more natural to be able to delete from within the Folder Data menu. Having to go back into 2xExplorer and delete from there is awkward.

> you can save a layout (see View | Layouts menu) in detailed view mode, after resizing the columns as you like. Then by hitting just one key (e.g. [Ctrl+7]) will reactivate it at any time even in subsequent runs

Cool, I learned a new trick .. Thanks :)

> this is a desing decision. However, if you press [Ctrl+F3] then the external viewer will be used instead -- exactly the opposite holds for the editor F4

Ok, I can live with this. Thanks for the tip.

> i have talked many times about that; see FAQ# 20 for a way for practically unlimited bookmarks

I have read your FAQ regarding this, and with all due respect I really don't like the solution you proposed. It is considerably awkward to do it the way you have suggested. So many users have requested this feature, perhaps it should be bumped up on the priority list?

> that's already possible, checkout the Snapshots page in the website. To get this arrangement, see registry.txt and the bUpDownPanes value

Ah, some fun registry hacks! I can play around with these, but wouldn't it make more sense to add actual options from the 2xExplorer interface to change these registry values? I'm sure you have a reason for doing it this way, but at the moment I can't think of a good one. :)

> I hope that crash on the CDROM to be a freak occasion, since i've never witnessed a similar thing.

I hope so too. I will try to explain exactly what I did that caused the crash:
I was installing a program from the CDROM, and I got to the point in the installation where it asked for the serial number. I didn't have it anywhere but on the CD label itself, so I opened the CDROM to read the serial number, then put the CD back in (without cancelling the installation). I know this is wacky, but I thought that Windows would be able to handle such a thing. I guess not, because all hell broke loose when I put the CD back in. :(

> Do we have a satisfied customer now or what?

Hell, I was a satisfied customer long ago (I started using 2xExplorer about a year ago, but not exclusively until just recently). I've even converted a few friends to using it. However, any program (no matter how good), can always be improved. I'm just listing my ideas for improvement. Some of them should be easy to implement, others more difficult. Of course, its up to you to decide whats best for most users. 2xExplorer is already a fantastic product!