Change appearance of folders

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Try this

Post by zippit »

Classic mode in Folder Options
oops
:roll:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Jaykul

Post by Jaykul »

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

I think you will find in there, NUMERICALLY (according to the numbers you would otherwise use to retrieve them from the shell32.dll?) the paths to icons for FOLDER CLOSED, FOLDER OPEN, DEFAULT, DEFAULT APPLICATION, CD ROM DRIVE, SHARED OVERLAY, SHORTCUT OVerlay .... etc

ANyway, the point is, this changes the DEFAULT folder icon in explorer. Not just an individual folder's icon. however: it's important to note, this does NOT work (eve in explorer) if explorer is not set as shell.

As the lead developer of GeoShell, I've got to say I'm already recommending 2x to our users as a replacement file manager, and I'm really pumped about xplorer² ... but if you could load the right icons, it would be a big plus :)

I can even help with the code if you want (I should point out that gxexplorer does this correctly, and is open source, but written in delphi and appears completely abandoned and only about 75% done, so you could check out how they do it).
--
:: Jaykul
aka: Joel Bennett
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by zippit »

Jaykul wrote:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

I think you will find in there, NUMERICALLY (according to the numbers you would otherwise use to retrieve them from the shell32.dll?) the paths to icons for FOLDER CLOSED, FOLDER OPEN, DEFAULT, DEFAULT APPLICATION, CD ROM DRIVE, SHARED OVERLAY, SHORTCUT OVerlay .... etc

ANyway, the point is, this changes the DEFAULT folder icon in explorer. Not just an individual folder's icon. however: it's important to note, this does NOT work (eve in explorer) if explorer is not set as shell.

As the lead developer of GeoShell, I've got to say I'm already recommending 2x to our users as a replacement file manager, and I'm really pumped about xplorer² ... but if you could load the right icons, it would be a big plus :)

I can even help with the code if you want (I should point out that gxexplorer does this correctly, and is open source, but written in delphi and appears completely abandoned and only about 75% done, so you could check out how they do it).
--
:: Jaykul
aka: Joel Bennett
Whow,You can't be serious to a very simple sollution.What the hell does this mean ? Quote:
but written in delphi and appears
The members aren't looking for code,just basic useing Windows sollutions.

War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

could it be that GeoShell needs to provide the correct substructure for shell explorers instead? :) x2 reads the icons with IShellIcon (and SHGetFileInfo as a fall-back) which return indices in the system image list. How can things go wrong? It's hard to tell without a test harness. All I can say is that I'll look into it at some stage

thanks for the plugs for 2x/x2 !
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Registry tweaks

Post by zippit »

My main point is.i guess is that shouldn't need this fix
Just for the record,
I use and love 2xExplorer for it's view by list or details.Windows seems to think icons "rule" ... :lol:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.
Jaykul

Post by Jaykul »

nikos wrote:could it be that GeoShell needs to provide the correct substructure for shell explorers instead?
It absolutely COULD be :roll: I've been looking to see if there's anything we can do, since clearly your API calls go to windows, not to us.
nikos wrote:x2 reads the icons with IShellIcon (and SHGetFileInfo as a fall-back) which return indices in the system image list. How can things go wrong?
Yeah... I know. That's why I was pointing out this registry entry. The numbers used in here should match the indices from the system image list, but I don't know how the Windows-Explorer combination manages to find those icons, and yet, Explorer running over geoshell ignores them, and 2x running over windows ignores them too?

:arrow: P.S. Sorry my reply was technical, :oops: it really wasn't meant for "users" it was meant for hackers (eg: Nikos) :wink:
--
::Jaykul
zippit
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sunday July 6

Post by zippit »

Get Lost,hacker.
:lol:
War is Hell
Lest We Forget.