2xExplorer new beta version - Crashes during Drag & Drop

Q & A for the old 2X Explorer file manager. For other topics, please use the corresponding forum.

Moderators: fgagnon, nikos, Site Mods

tobarger

Post by tobarger »

Crashes while dragging & dropping files with the new beta version of 2xExplorer on Windows ME.

1) open 2xExplorer
2) select a file on the right pane and drag it to the left pane
3) crashes every time

Crashes only occur if the above procedure is the very first drag & drop operation performed since starting 2xExplorer. If the very first drag & drop is performed from left to right, then from that point on during that session, right to left drag & drop operations do not crash 2xExplorer.
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

that is the weirdest thing i've ever heard!

microsoft should be sued for releasing that bug-ridden ME "operating system". Another ME user has mentioned drag/drop crashes of a different variety -- he crashed when dragging shortcut files but not normal stuff ( ! )

are you sure it's down to where you drag first from or perhaps it's more to do with the folder shown in each pane? Try swapping the panes and have another go

do plain copy to commands (F5/F6) between the panes work ok? In such a case the suspect should be those new fancy icons Z1 shows while dragging. Do you see crashes when you drag more than 1 item at a time? -> there you won't be getting icons

if you give me some more info i may be able to fix this
nikos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nikos »

i'd appreciate your trying this debug version

if you get assertions errors, take a snapshot and then click "Ignore" -- i would like to see any such messages generated.

Of course the really interesting stuff are when you try the drag/drop. If it crashes again without any messages i'd like to see the crash log (do windows ME have Dr.Watson?)

thanks
tobarger

Post by tobarger »

I ran Dr. Watson with Windows ME in safe mode; 2xExplorer still crashes every time the very first drag & drop is from right to left pane. Also, the crashes have nothing to do with specific directories or file types; I've tried various combinations. The included attachment is the pop-up message box that appears at the time of crash. I would include the Dr. Watson crash log file but it is over 400k and the limit for this reply is only 200k. So I'll try emailing it to you Nikos, happy hunting.
tobarger

Post by tobarger »

This problem seems to have been eliminated in the latest 2xExplorer beta version 1.4.1.5. Way to go Nikos.